[SOLVED] Can I use a higer rated VA UPS battery for my 600VA UPS

Demoniacs

Commendable
Sep 30, 2019
I'm trying to replace my UPS battery. Currently it is a 600VA/390Watt and it's dying so I want to replace the batteries. I want to replace it with a 1000VA battery. Is it even possible?

Solution
In principle, yes, if the battery voltage is the same. It will take somewhat longer to charge the larger battery when it's fully or partly depleted. You'll get a longer backup time but it will not turn your UPS into a 1000VA unit.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
In principle, yes, if the battery voltage is the same. It will take somewhat longer to charge the larger battery when it's fully or partly depleted. You'll get a longer backup time but it will not turn your UPS into a 1000VA unit.

Reactions: Demoniacs
Solution

Demoniacs

Commendable
Sep 30, 2019

Please correct me if I'm wrong. This means as long as the load is no more than 600va/390watts, I can use a higher rated replacement battery? I'm only using it for cctv (40W) and power for 4 cctv cameras (15*4=60W), as well as a router (30W) and occasional TV (150W) for a total of 310W (guestimate based on internet sources), I should be fine.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Correct. Make sure that you have good electrical contacts at the battery terminals. UPSes are low-voltage high-current devices, similar to a car's electrical system. A 600VA load draws 50 Amps from a 12V battery - more when you include conversion losses. This is roughly comparable to the load on a car battery when it's cranking the engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demoniacs