[SOLVED] Can I use a new power supply in a very old pc?

Jul 10, 2020
I have a PC from 2 decades ago and the psu was inputted into the wrong voltage when we first arrived here so now the psu doesnt work. I just started building a new pc and i just want to use the old pcs floppy reader so i wanna try using my new psu.

PSU : Thermaltake Smart RGB 500w 80+(regular)

Old PC specs: Dell Dimension 8400, Intel Pentium 4.

Yeah, generally just wondering if a standard atx psu will work.

Thanks.

Solution
Some of the Dell Dimensions (with socket 478 especially) had non standard PSU wiring on the 20/24 pin MB header.
I would go to Dell Community Forums and ask about that specific system there. The PSU should fit, and there is a way to use it, but you need to be careful.
I'm a big fan of old Dells. But I wouldn't bother with anything older than an LGA775 Core2 Duo system. Even then I don't give more than about $20 for one. The fastest P4 will barely equal the slowest Core2 Duo. If it's socket 478 then you're stuck with 32 bit OS and apps. and 4GB RAM limit. That was obsolete 15 years ago. Even by my standards.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Dell-Dimension-8400/6552
Some of the Dell Dimensions (with socket 478 especially) had non standard PSU wiring on the 20/24 pin MB header.
I would go to Dell Community Forums and ask about that specific system there. The PSU should fit, and there is a way to use it, but you need to be careful.
I'm a big fan of old Dells. But I wouldn't bother with anything older than an LGA775 Core2 Duo system. Even then I don't give more than about $20 for one. The fastest P4 will barely equal the slowest Core2 Duo. If it's socket 478 then you're stuck with 32 bit OS and apps. and 4GB RAM limit. That was obsolete 15 years ago. Even by my standards.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Dell-Dimension-8400/6552

Solution
I have a PC from 2 decades ago and the psu was inputted into the wrong voltage when we first arrived here so now the psu doesnt work. I just started building a new pc and i just want to use the old pcs floppy reader so i wanna try using my new psu.

PSU : Thermaltake Smart RGB 500w 80+(regular)

Old PC specs: Dell Dimension 8400, Intel Pentium 4.

Yeah, generally just wondering if a standard atx psu will work.

Thanks.

Just get a USB floppy drive.