Question Can I use a NVMe SSD slot to PCIe adapter to delete everything on my ssd and clone windows?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
So I had an old pc that unfortunately just died, already posted a forum regarding it but nothing worked. So I decided since my new pc has only 256 gb NVME ssd storage, if I could use my old pc samsung 1 TB ssd as the boot drive? My current HP Pavilion only has 1 nvme slot. My old ssd has windows 10 with some games and my new one has windows 11, so if I buy a cheap PCIE x1 to nvme slot, can I delete everything on the ssd, then clone the ssd and remove the current 256 gb ssd and use the 1 tb instead? And could I even use the adapter to store my empty 256 gb ssd? Will there be a problem?

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
Options in BIOS could force slot into PCIE 2.0 mode.

You can check PCIE slot operation mode with Samsung Magician - Drive Details section.
Options in BIOS could force slot into PCIE 2.0 mode.

You can check PCIE slot operation mode with Samsung Magician - Drive Details section.
Just checked crystal disk info, stated that the Samsung 980 ssd will default to pcie 2.0 when it is connected to pcie x1. So I guess this solves my question. I guess it's fine since the games still load faster but it's a bummer that it can't be faster than a sata ssd. Unless there's a way to bypass this, I don't think there is anything I can do.