[SOLVED] Can i use a old ssd with drivers for a different system to retrieve some files before wiping it? On my new system

Feb 25, 2023
I recently bought a new computer and used some parts from the old computer, so the old computer is not operational anymore.
I still have a old ssd from the old system and want to put some files on a usb stick. The old ssd has windows 10 on it with drivers for the old system.
Can i use the old ssd on my new system to retrieve some files? Or is this a realy bad idea because it has drivers for the old system?
Not sure if it can break any hardware on my new system?

Solution
I recently bought a new computer and used some parts from the old computer, so the old computer is not operational anymore.
I still have a old ssd from the old system and want to put some files on a usb stick. The old ssd has windows 10 on it with drivers for the old system.
Can i use the old ssd on my new system to retrieve some files? Or is this a realy bad idea because it has drivers for the old system?
You access this old drive as a secondary thing. The D or E drive, for instance.
NOT to try to boot from.

USAFRet

Titan
You access this old drive as a secondary thing. The D or E drive, for instance.
NOT to try to boot from.

Reactions: b0bskkk
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the fast reply!
So i can just transfer the files i want. It wont do anything with the drivers installed on it as long as i dont boot the OS?
Drivers are irrelevant.

But, you will almost certainly run into permissions issues. Any files located in the Libraies (/Documents/, /Pictures/, etc) are tied to the old user.
Look into TakeOwnership.

Reactions: b0bskkk
Feb 25, 2023
Drivers are irrelevant.

But, you will almost certainly run into permissions issues. Any files located in the Libraies (/Documents/, /Pictures/, etc) are tied to the old user.
Look into TakeOwnership.

Ok will look into Takeownership. Thanks for the help USAFret!

I transferred the files i wanted without any problems. Windows 11 asked me if i wanted to take ownership, so no problems there.
Thanks USAFret!