Question Can I use a pci-e x16 adapter card for nvme ssd on my Asus m5a99fx Pro r2.0?

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
I have an Asus M5A99FX PRO r2.0 motherboard, bios has been fully updated. I just recently decided to take the plunge and started swapping out my primary drive from mechanical to solid state. I had my doubts about stability of solid state drives for many years. i am hooked on the speed benefits of my current sata III kingston UV500 250gb ssd, and i want more.....

I have done a lot of reading and I have not been able to find anything conclusive that my system can not support a pci-e x16 adapter card in which i would install a m.2 ssd.

will my purchases be"wasted money" in the aspects of attempting to have it as a boot device? will i be able to boot from it?

e/ current boot time from my kingston ssd is 14 seconds. (was 45-50 seconds on mechanical)..

Last edited:
will my purchases be"wasted money" in the aspects of attempting to have it as a boot device? will i be able to boot from it?
Your motherboard will not be able to boot from any NVME SSD in an adapter card. I see no bios version adding support for this either.

Also, for the majority of uses, a SATA drive and NVME will perform similarly. As in, you would have to have them side by side to notice the difference.

I would suggest upgrading to a fast modern SATA SSD such as a Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 evo. Your motherboard supports SATA 3, so you will be able to get all of the performance out of a SATA drive.

Why would you need PCIE riser card? It's this one btw.

31cVmdWIppL.jpg

Probably M.2 to PCIE adapter card was meant here.

HD032AS_154347_800x800.jpg

Anyway - your system will not be able to boot from M.2 drive on it. But it can be used for secondary storage though.

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Your motherboard will not be able to boot from any NVME SSD in an adapter card. I see no bios version adding support for this either.

Also, for the majority of uses, a SATA drive and NVME will perform similarly. As in, you would have to have them side by side to notice the difference.

I would suggest upgrading to a fast modern SATA SSD such as a Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 evo. Your motherboard supports SATA 3, so you will be able to get all of the performance out of a SATA drive.

Okay thank you. i had a feeling it would not be able to be used as a boot device. no harm in asking, when you cant find data pertaining to it..

i do know that the crucial mx500 and samsung 860's are rated as some of the best out there, to be honest i don't have a lot of money to spend on my computer, which is why i settled for the kingston drive i have now. the price was right with my winning bid on ebay being $7.51CAD with free shipping for brand new in sealed packaging.. i doubt i will get a mx or samsung new for that pricing..

scott.spoerry

Prominent
Apr 10, 2018
I have an Asus M5A99FX PRO r2.0 motherboard, bios has been fully updated. I just recently decided to take the plunge and started swapping out my primary drive from mechanical to solid state. I had my doubts about stability of solid state drives for many years. i am hooked on the speed benefits of my current sata III kingston UV500 250gb ssd, and i want more.....

I have a related issue. I have an ASUS x99 A II but the onboard m2/NVME connector leaves the SSD card flat against the MOBO (just barely off the actual MOBO surface), unlike my ASUS x99 deluxe II which has the card sticking up in the air off the front of the MOBO. I have read about cooling concerns with M2 style cards and I cannot believe flat near the MOBO surface is an optimum cooling solution. My deluxe 2 boots fine off of the Samsung NVME card, so I assume the NVME card will boot on the x99 A-2 onboard connector. Am I being overly paranoid about keeping the NVME SSD card cool? I have an ASUS hyper X M2 adapter card just lying around. Thoughts?

Unrelated,...but I think this is my first post ever on Tom's Hardware Forums, which I have learned to really appreciate over the past few years as a go to source of valuable info!! FYI, someone is being very kind to label me "prominent", but thank you for that.