Question Can I use a pcie cable in the cpu slot (modular psu)?

Starcruiser

Honorable
To start with, I know everyone's first thought will be "this is a bad idea" but I mostly want to know if it is Theoretically possible.

I have an EVGA 650 GQ 80+ gold semi modular power supply. Only the main 24 pin atx connector is hard wired.
The power supply has 2 slots for a cpu cable, but only includes one cable. It does, however, have 2 6+2 cables.
Looking at the atx specifications it's possible for the cable to fit in the cpu slot on the motherboard, but the +12v and ground are flipped in the specification.

However, I assume this is because of the wiring in the psu and not the cable. From a visual inspection, the cables appear to be wired the same way. The more I think about it, the more it seems possible that I could use a pcie cable in place of the missing second cpu cable.

To start with, I know everyone's first thought will be "this is a bad idea" but I mostly want to know if it is Theoretically possible.

I have an EVGA 650 GQ 80+ gold semi modular power supply. Only the main 24 pin atx connector is hard wired.
The power supply has 2 slots for a cpu cable, but only includes one cable. It does, however, have 2 6+2 cables.
Looking at the atx specifications it's possible for the cable to fit in the cpu slot on the motherboard, but the +12v and ground are flipped in the specification.

However, I assume this is because of the wiring in the psu and not the cable. From a visual inspection, the cables appear to be wired the same way. The more I think about it, the more it seems possible that I could use a pcie cable in place of the missing second cpu cable.
I have the same PSU and it included 2 cpu power cables if short one contact EVGA

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TRENDING THREADS