[SOLVED] Can I Use a PCIe card to get SATA 3 speeds

Aug 15, 2019
Can I Use a PCIe card to connect my SSD and hard Disk to Utilize the SATA 3 speeds Instead of the default SATA 2 speed provided by the mother board. I use a lenovo C20 think-station (these are the specs https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/migr-75579 ) also please suggest a PCIe card that supports USB 3.0 and is able to connect with my motherboard. I got one from my local computer store but it didn't seem to support my PC and it stopped at the loading screen of windows when the PC booted.

EDIT: Please Suggest cards that are available on AliExpress for both Sata Contoller and USB 3.0 Controller

Solution
First I'd note that most USB 3.0 and SATA cards only use PCIe x1 lanes. In general you'll want to use the black slots as they are PCIe 2.0 the blue slot is PCIe 1.0.

Speed
For USB 3.0 or 3.1 Gen 1 you'll need at least a PCIe 2.0 x2 card to hit the maximum theoretical speed of USB 3.0.
For USB 3.1 Gen2 you'll need at least PCIe 2.0 x4.
For SATA III you need PCIe 2.0 x1. However, if you plan on multiple SATA III SSD or RAID 0/5/10. You'll want PCIe 2.0 x2 or x4.

SATA

This card uses a Marvell 88SE9230 controller. It should work for RAID 0/1/10. It's some generic brand. I couldn't find the card I found on Amazon. This should work as it has the same controller and good customer reviews. Search 88SE9230 for other options...
First I'd note that most USB 3.0 and SATA cards only use PCIe x1 lanes. In general you'll want to use the black slots as they are PCIe 2.0 the blue slot is PCIe 1.0.

Speed
For USB 3.0 or 3.1 Gen 1 you'll need at least a PCIe 2.0 x2 card to hit the maximum theoretical speed of USB 3.0.
For USB 3.1 Gen2 you'll need at least PCIe 2.0 x4.
For SATA III you need PCIe 2.0 x1. However, if you plan on multiple SATA III SSD or RAID 0/5/10. You'll want PCIe 2.0 x2 or x4.

SATA

This card uses a Marvell 88SE9230 controller. It should work for RAID 0/1/10. It's some generic brand. I couldn't find the card I found on Amazon. This should work as it has the same controller and good customer reviews. Search 88SE9230 for other options. Make sure they are PCIe x2.

USB
I had the same problems finding a name brand USB card on Aliexpress. Anyways, this card uses the ASM1142 chipset. It should be fine for USB 3.1 Gen 2 support. You may as well go 3.1 Gen 2 to have the latest standards. It requires a PCIe 2.0 x4 or larger for full speed. Just search for ASM1142 for other options. Make sure they are PCIe x4.

Solution