[SOLVED] Can I use a PlayStation 2 in a BenQ GL2580H?

Apr 2, 2020
Hi,

so I recently bought a PS2 but I'm not sure if I can use it with my monitor. The monitor has a VGA, a DVI and a HDMI port. Which port should I use or what kind of adaptor will I need?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
First thing is first, you need to connect your PS2 to a TV using the original composite cable (the yellow video cable) and go into the settings and change the video output to Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr mode for Component output.
Then turn off the system and change out the cables for Component cables>
Component cables are the cables that have Red Blue Green for video instead of just one Yellow cable.

Next, you can use a component to HDMI adapter to adapt it to HDMI.
I use this adapter for my PS2 and my Wii on my HDTV as well as for use with my HDMI capture card

As mentioned above with the article, you can get a hold of component cables for the PS2 by shopping around.
These one's don't look too...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
First thing is first, you need to connect your PS2 to a TV using the original composite cable (the yellow video cable) and go into the settings and change the video output to Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr mode for Component output.
Component cables are the cables that have Red Blue Green for video instead of just one Yellow cable.

I use this adapter for my PS2 and my Wii on my HDTV as well as for use with my HDMI capture card

As mentioned above with the article, you can get a hold of component cables for the PS2 by shopping around.
These one's don't look too bad.

Adapting to HDMI makes it easier to connect the PS2 to all kinds of displays and of course HDMI capture cards.
And also if every other device you have uses HDMI, you can then plug it into an HDMI hub that goes into a single display.

It's up to you though, you can also go the other route of adapting to VGA and such as shown in the article.

In total, the HDMI adapter I linked is $40 and the component cables are $12 for a total of $52.
It's not going to get any cheaper than that going other routes with other adapters that adapt to other things.

Getting one of those chinese HDMI adapters that are these little flash drive sized boxes that plug directly into the back of the PS2 are not 100% reliable and whether or not they work, as well as whether or not they work for a long time before failing is always up and down so take your chances with those, and they aren't too much cheaper than going the route with cables and an Component to HDMI adapter.

I hope all this information has helped you to know what you need to be looking into so that you can adapt your PS2 to plug into your monitor.

Cheers. :)

P.S. - BTW, the cables may say they are for the PS3 but they will work on the PS2 just fine.

Reactions: bybijk6
Solution
Apr 2, 2020

These one's don't look too bad.

Adapting to HDMI makes it easier to connect the PS2 to all kinds of displays and of course HDMI capture cards.
And also if every other device you have uses HDMI, you can then plug it into an HDMI hub that goes into a single display.

It's up to you though, you can also go the other route of adapting to VGA and such as shown in the article.

In total, the HDMI adapter I linked is $40 and the component cables are $12 for a total of $52.
It's not going to get any cheaper than that going other routes with other adapters that adapt to other things.

Getting one of those chinese HDMI adapters that are these little flash drive sized boxes that plug directly into the back of the PS2 are not 100% reliable and whether or not they work, as well as whether or not they work for a long time before failing is always up and down so take your chances with those, and they aren't too much cheaper than going the route with cables and an Component to HDMI adapter.

I hope all this information has helped you to know what you need to be looking into so that you can adapt your PS2 to plug into your monitor.

Cheers. :)

P.S. - BTW, the cables may say they are for the PS3 but they will work on the PS2 just fine.

Hi! Great answer! I'll check it out before giving you the best answer. I read you use also have a capture card for recording. I've also bough a Elgato Game Capture HD to record gameplay. I found this tutorial:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCPw_KQl2c8&t=58s

Will that work? Finally, one last question. What's the difference between RGB and components? Does it really matter?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
RGB is usually done via SCART cables, whereas Component cables handle a different video signal.
(it just has to do with dynamic range and color space. Don't go down the SCART rabbit hole with learning about it all and using it with special old CRT monitors and whatnot unless you really want to)

If you are using the original Game Capture HD, and you have the adapter that comes with it for plugging the component cables directly into it, then you don't need HDMI adapter to capture video from your PS2 with it.

However though..... you will not be able to see your gameplay except for what is passed through the capture card into software on a PC which has a pretty not so gameplay friendly delay to it.

If you want to use your monitor as a display, and you want to pass through the video from the console to the display while capturing and you want to do this without going with super alternative methods, then HDMI adapter is the simplest and cleanest way.

Reactions: bybijk6

TRENDING THREADS