Can I use a pre-build Hard Drive on my custom build?

SoHighStudio

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
I want to use this hard drive (Seagate Barracuda 500GB) from my old Dell Inspiron but I can't get it to work in my custom build. Everytime I put it in and start it up, it gets to a black loading screen right before you get to a screen where you enter the password, freezes, then a BSOD pops up for a split second then I get kicked to the boot menu.

I tried everything I could think of to make it work: I plugged it into different SATA ports.
I looked up the Serial ATA model (It's st3500418as) and it should be compatible with my motherboard (an ASUS Z97-A.)
I Even tried to reformat the hard drive to factory settings and it still didn't work.
I'm thinking it's programmed to only work on a Dell computer, but I don't know that much about hard drives to be certain.

I don't want to buy a new hard drive if I don't have to, because I don't have the money for it right now.

So If anyone can tell me whether or not it's possible I can use it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Solution

You need to buy a new OS for your new PC
Boot from that, and install the OS. Delete ALL existing partitions as you do this.
You can reuse the old drive. Everything on it will be wiped.

SoHighStudio

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015

Okay, i'm new to this, so How would I do that? Or If you could link me to a video or article that explains how to do that, that would be great.

USAFRet

Titan

You need to buy a new OS for your new PC
Boot from that, and install the OS. Delete ALL existing partitions as you do this.
You can reuse the old drive. Everything on it will be wiped.

Solution