Can I use a Radeon RX 580 graphics card with 430 Watt PSU

mulayim_sert

Reputable
Oct 11, 2018
Hello all,
I have a Ryzen 5 2400G APU and a 430 Watt Seasonic ECO 430 PSU. I want to add a Radeon RX 580 into my computer. Is it possible with this PSU. PSU has 396 watt power in +12V and since I won't use the integrated graphics card and Radeon RX uses around 320 watt and my CPU probably will use 60 watt then my PSU should handle the load am I right?

Solution

I usually add another 50-100 to whatever they recommend.

It's like a water pump. If you need a pump that pushes 40L of water per minute and buy 40L pump. It will also be at 100% capacity and will get worn out quicker. So you buy a 60L one.

If yours uses 362, and they recommend 412. I would go at the very least for a 450w and even better a 500w.

What's your budget and where do you live? I can help you pick one.

I usually add another 50-100 to whatever they recommend.

It's like a water pump. If you need a pump that pushes 40L of water per minute and buy 40L pump. It will also be at 100% capacity and will get worn out quicker. So you buy a 60L one.

If yours uses 362, and they recommend 412. I would go at the very least for a 450w and even better a 500w.

What's your budget and where do you live? I can help you pick one.

Solution

mulayim_sert

Reputable
Oct 11, 2018
Thanks again for the answer.

You are right. I also want to overclok both the CPU and GPU so actually I should go even higher. The problem is that I have just assembled this PC and boughth the PSU so I don't want to buy a new one. I wanted to play Hellblade Sensua's sacrifice and a bit disappointed to see that my Vega 11 is not sufficient for this game.

I spent significant portion of my budget to the rams: 2x8 Gskill FlareX 3200 which is very expensive. It is not bad of course but I could have bought an ordinary 8 gb ram and save the rest to buy a better PSU and a second hand Radeon RX 580. It will fit perfectly.

I am just writing this so maybe become helpful to someone else. All this news about ram compatibility issues frightened me a bit.

mulayim_sert

Reputable
Oct 11, 2018

Another issue is that I have chosen my monitor to have Free Synch to work in accordance with my Vega 11, so I don't want to switch to Nvidia.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu with OC : anywhere upto @100w
Rest of the pc: anywhere upto @100w
Rx580 (depending on model) : anywhere upto @240w stock + boost).

Overclocked you well exceed that psu ability, even stock you reach @400w max, with a constant gaming load of @300-320w. That's a lot on that psu. Another budget psu such as the Seasonic S12-II/M12-II 520w would be a far better option as a minimum, a decent 550w would be recommended as there really aren't any decent 500w units.

mulayim_sert

Reputable
Oct 11, 2018

What about Radeon RX 480. I can use it right and it provides significant performance update compared to my Vega 11?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Roughly the same draw as a Rx580, pretty much a 580 is a tweaked 480. Honestly, it's not an easy choice. The gtx1060 has comparable performance, often slightly better and works just fine on a 430w psu, that's the actual recommended psu for that gpu, but invariably currently it costs a little more. On the other hand, a new psu and Rx580 will be roughly the same price for similar performance. Granted that's US prices, depending on availability and location, that can change.

Unless this is a somewhat priority, Thanksgiving isn't far off and some of those sales are unreal, if you can take advantage of them.

mulayim_sert

Reputable
Oct 11, 2018

Yeah, I will wait and buy around thanksgiving then. I have also learned that Free Synch doesn't work with the HDMI port :( . All those time I was thinking that I was getting the advantage of it. Another mistake!

I would suggest not overclocking for the moment with this PSU.