[SOLVED] can i use a SAS drive on my motherboard?

Solution
i have an asrock ab350 pro 4 and i bought a seagate constellation sas drive without realize it was sas lol.

would i have to buy a sas controller?
No, you can use SATA on an SAS controller but not SAS on a SATA controller. You would need an SAS controller to use it on motherboards without SAS controllers built in, mainly workstation boards.

HERE is a good general discussion on wiki about the differences that make SAS incompatible on SATA controllers.

RealBeast

Titan
i have an asrock ab350 pro 4 and i bought a seagate constellation sas drive without realize it was sas lol.

would i have to buy a sas controller?
No, you can use SATA on an SAS controller but not SAS on a SATA controller. You would need an SAS controller to use it on motherboards without SAS controllers built in, mainly workstation boards.

HERE is a good general discussion on wiki about the differences that make SAS incompatible on SATA controllers.

Last edited:
Reactions: computer_nugget2
Solution

computer_nugget2

Distinguished

:'( i figured thats what i need to do. thank you bro.

but i did only pay $40 for 3tb drive. that was quite the bargain i say

RealBeast

Titan
:'( i figured thats what i need to do. thank you bro.

but i did only pay $40 for 3tb drive. that was quite the bargain i say
Yeah, sometimes you can get a real good price. I picked up 8 12TB HGST Enterprise He drives for $245 each for use on an Adaptec 8805 controller, they just require different splitout cables than SATA since that is an SAS based controller.

edit: it may be cheaper to just buy a new drive and sell that on EBay.