Question Can I use a SATA SSD with OS installed on IDE config?

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Hello guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my dad's PC which is an old system with an SSD for a snappier general desktop usage. I realize that SSDs can be used in IDE systems, yes, but can it be proper fast if used in IDE only?

My idea is to use Macrium to mirror the current HDD to the SSD and then booting the system from there. The problem is I've tried to set the BIOS to AHCI and the PC won't boot into OS, understandably, since the OS was installed in IDE mode. As far as I'm aware of, the workaround is to reinstall the OS on AHCI mode.
Since I need to boot to OS to use Macrium, I'll need to boot in IDE, then mirror the drives. I reckon then I need to boot to BIOS and switch to AHCI, then reboot into system, right?

If I mirror the drives then can it boot from AHCI? Or is AHCI not required to run SSD to properly utilize its speed? Thank you.

Specs:
An old J&W motherboard (salvage)
i3-520
Not sure if it matters but 2x2gb of RAM, HD 5670, and currently 250GB WD Blue

Edit: the system uses SATA already, and not old IDE ribbon cable stuff

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Took me a while to procure an SSD for my dad's PC, but I finally did it. I'm posting here in case someone needs a solution in the future.

It worked fine, managed to clone my old drive into the SSD and boot from it. The only caveat I think is the bootup time is not significantly improved (certainly feels faster when I tested the SSD in my main rig than this one), but then again I have a janky OEM board and a slow dual core from Triassic era.
Daily tasks are marginally better though, which is basically just running the occasional Zoom meetings and browsing the web. Browsing through file explorer feels fast, which is expected from an SSD. Hope this helps.