[SOLVED] Can I use a single 8 + 8(6+2) cable from my PSU for my 8+6 GPU?

jimfreeman92

Reputable
Oct 5, 2018
Hi, first time builder and I'm afraid I'll fry something. My GPU is a MSI 'Duke' GTX 1070 Ti (linked) and my PSU is a EVGA 650 G3 (linked).

I'm assembling my components now but I'm stuck on what cable(s) I should be using between my PSU and GPU. I know this question appears to have been asked before, but I can't find definitive answers, apologies.

The 650 G3 comes with a single 8-pin to 6+2 cable, and a single "double-headed" 8-pin to 6+2 + 6+2 cable. In other words: the second cable I describe has 8 pins on one end, and two 6+2 connections on the other end.

Here are the possible connections I could make between my PSU and GPU:

A) Hook up only one 8-pin connection on the GPU
B) Hook up only one 6-pin connection on the GPU
C) Hook up BOTH the 8 and 6 pin connections on the GPU using the lone 8-pin to 6+2 + 6+2 cable
D) Hook up BOTH the 8 and 6 pin connections on the GPU using TWO cables (utilize the 8 pin to 6 pin cable, and utilize only half of the 8-pin to double 6+2 pin cable's capacity)

What is the right move here? I don't plan on overclocking the card immediately or anything, just want to do this right the first time around. Many thanks for the help.

Solution
Im using an 8 to 2x 6+2 pin pcie cable to power a 1080Ti. It's fine to use seeing it came with the psu. One of the reasons for these type of cables is for better cable management / less cabling.

It's safe to use 8pin branching out to two 6+2's.

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018
It would be smart to attach all pins that the card requires. Most cards wont even boot if you dont have all of the power connectors filled. When the company makes or customizes the PCB, they built the card with the amount of connectors they put on there in mind. But like i said, i doubt your card will even post without all of the pins being filled.

PS: It doesnt matter what the configuration of pins is, as long as they are all filled.

jimfreeman92

Reputable
Oct 5, 2018

Hey Alkatraz, thanks for your reply! OK, I will plan on filling all pins. But my question revolves around which cables to use. Do I need two cables or can I use the one? I've heard others say that a single cable can't supply adequate juice to a card like this. The Duke 1070 ti draws 180W.

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

You can use two different cables if you must. One would be better. But like i said, keep in mind you need to fill all of the pins on the card. Power flows like water. It will all balance out no matter how full one is.

PS: The Duke is one of the best 1070ti's out there! Good choice.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Im using an 8 to 2x 6+2 pin pcie cable to power a 1080Ti. It's fine to use seeing it came with the psu. One of the reasons for these type of cables is for better cable management / less cabling.

It's safe to use 8pin branching out to two 6+2's.

Reactions: maikalwolf
Solution