[SOLVED] Can I use a splitter ?

deadrush

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2013
I am having Fiber Broadband installed at my home soon and it uses a direct ethernet connection. It will be a 1GB connection. I want it hardwired inside my home as well as my garage.

Is it possible to split the main line before going into the home so I have 1 line going into my home while the other line goes into my garage. If this is possible what would I need to do so?

Last edited:
Solution
It depends what the box that takes the fiber is. Many times if the device has only one port it is some kind on ONT or modem. Very technically you could use technology to add more ports BUT most ISP only give you a single IP address so only 1 device will function.

This is reason people have a router, its primary purpose is to share the 1 IP the ISP gives you with multiple device. Most times if a ISP device is both a router and a modem it has multiple ethernet port and most times wifi.

So it is likely you need to place a router where the fiber comes in. This should give you 4 ethernet ports. Many times the place the fiber comes in is not optimal for wifi so you might need addition ap or small routers running as AP in the...

Lutfij

Titan
If the connection terminates to an RJ45 connector, you can tether the connector to an Ethernet switch or a wired/wireless router. Wireless routers tend to allow you to have wireless access across your devices and they come with at least 2 Ethernet ports to connect a system to said router. I said at least since there are bottom of the barrel options with 2 Ethernet ports, while there are units with 4 ports.

It depends what the box that takes the fiber is. Many times if the device has only one port it is some kind on ONT or modem. Very technically you could use technology to add more ports BUT most ISP only give you a single IP address so only 1 device will function.

This is reason people have a router, its primary purpose is to share the 1 IP the ISP gives you with multiple device. Most times if a ISP device is both a router and a modem it has multiple ethernet port and most times wifi.

So it is likely you need to place a router where the fiber comes in. This should give you 4 ethernet ports. Many times the place the fiber comes in is not optimal for wifi so you might need addition ap or small routers running as AP in the remote location.

Solution

deadrush

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2013
Ok, thank you for the responses. The reason I was asking is because the line would be put through the wall. So, I dont want to have them put line through wall then have a second line back through the wall to my garage. Is there any possible solutions to this problem? I only want 1 hole in my wall but I want both house and garage hardwired

The path must be

------------Modem---router---end devices. So you are going to have to have 2 wires. The one coming into the modem and the one going out of the router.

Technically it only requires 1 hole just a large enough for 2 cables. Make sure you are using outdoor rated cable when you run it on the side of the house.

deadrush

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2013
When i talked to the ISP they said no modem required just connect the line coming into house to a router and I'm all set. So this means I would have to run a line back out or could I out a switch outside before cable goes into house?

Then the router must have a modem in it. The cable coming into the house can't be ethernet...unless you live in the ISP data center. Ethernet can only go 100 meters. If you think the cable looks like ethernet then it is like a telephone dsl cable.

You can not split the cable before it hits the router.

deadrush

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2013
Ok thank you and as for the Fiber it has been ran and connected to outside of my house and they are converting the fiber from that box into a direct ethernet connection. This is what the ISP told me because I asked if I needed to buy my own modem and they informed me all I needed was a router.

I see the fiber box is a form of modem.

The reason you can't just put a switch there is not really a technical limitation it is because the ISP only gives you a single IP address. That is the reason people even have a router. Its primary purpose is to share that single IP with all the machines in the house.