[SOLVED] Can I use a "Type4" cable as a replacement for a CPU power cable?

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I am attempting to build a new rig using a Corsair TXM Gold 850 watt PSU and an ASUS Prime-570 Pro motherboard. However, I have run into an issue. The motherboard has an 8-pin CPU power slot, with an additional 4-pin slot right next to it, as shown here. The CPU power cable that is attached to the PSU by default only has an 8-pin connector that splits into two 4 pin connectors. If I plug that into the motherboard's 8-pin slot, the 4-pin slot remains unoccupied. I have been told that if I plan on overclocking my Ryzen 3900x, the extra power from the 4 pin slot may be drawn upon by the motherboard, so I would like to fill the 8-pin slot and 4-pin slot simultaneously. Now, the TXM, being a semi-modular PSU, also came with a bunch of additional cables. Among these cables is an 8-pin cable known as "Type4", which seems to correspond with the CPU slot. However, before I plug the "Type4" cable into the CPU slot and fry my system unintentionally, I have a two questions:

1. Can this 8-pin "Type4" cable be used in place of the default CPU cable?

2. If so, can I place the 8-pin Type4 cable into the 8-pin CPU slot, and then place one of the actual CPU cable's 4-pin connectors into the remaining 4 pin slot?

Solution
  1. NO!
  2. You're going to need a PSU that has the necessary power connector. The thumb rule is that if your PSU doesn't have the necessary connectors for all your components in your build, you don't have the right PSU for the job.

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
  1. NO!
  2. You're going to need a PSU that has the necessary power connector. The thumb rule is that if your PSU doesn't have the necessary connectors for all your components in your build, you don't have the right PSU for the job.

Thanks for preventing me from damaging my computer. Though, I do find it bizarre that an 850 watt semi-modular PSU doesn't have the appropriate cable for this situation. Of course, there's also the possibility that I do have the appropriate cable and am just dumb.

I am attempting to build a new rig using a Corsair TXM Gold 850 watt PSU and an ASUS Prime-570 Pro motherboard. However, I have run into an issue. The motherboard has an 8-pin CPU power slot, with an additional 4-pin slot right next to it, as shown here. The CPU power cable that is attached to the PSU by default only has an 8-pin connector that splits into two 4 pin connectors. If I plug that into the motherboard's 8-pin slot, the 4-pin slot remains unoccupied. I have been told that if I plan on overclocking my Ryzen 3900x, the extra power from the 4 pin slot may be drawn upon by the motherboard, so I would like to fill the 8-pin slot and 4-pin slot simultaneously. Now, the TXM, being a semi-modular PSU, also came with a bunch of additional cables. Among these cables is an 8-pin cable known as "Type4", which seems to correspond with the CPU slot. However, before I plug the "Type4" cable into the CPU slot and fry my system unintentionally, I have a two questions:

1. Can this 8-pin "Type4" cable be used in place of the default CPU cable?

2. If so, can I place the 8-pin Type4 cable into the 8-pin CPU slot, and then place one of the actual CPU cable's 4-pin connectors into the remaining 4 pin slot?

I think you selected "best answer" too quickly. ;)

You're only telling us about one side of the cable. What's on the other side?

It says Type 4 on one side. That's the type of sockets the PSU has. AFAIK, ALL of your modular cables say "Type 4". What does it say on the other side?

The PSU should have two CPU power cables. One is fixed and the other is modular. The one that is modular says "Type 4" on the side that plugs into the PSU and "CPU" on the other end.

If you do not have an additional Type 4 cable for your CPU, you can buy them. Just Google "CP-8920141". Type 3 cables will work as well. The part number for that is "CP-8920115".

You can also get fancy individually sleeved cables from either Corsair or Cablemod.

Reactions: ProtoflareX