Question Can i use a very old AMD gpu as an extra monitor?

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
i have an old monitor that has VGA and DVI, i have a ATI Radeon HD5450 that also has vga, my main gpu is an NVIDIA RTX2060.

can i just plug the HD5450 into my motherboard and then plug the old monitor into the gpu and have a second monitor?

Solution
i have an old monitor that has VGA and DVI, i have a ATI Radeon HD5450 that also has vga, my main gpu is an NVIDIA RTX2060.

can i just plug the HD5450 into my motherboard and then plug the old monitor into the gpu and have a second monitor?
Theoretically yes but you already have a GPU that supports multiple monitors andcan useone of outputs with an adapter for DVI or VGA.

Theoretically yes but you already have a GPU that supports multiple monitors andcan useone of outputs with an adapter for DVI or VGA.

Solution
Old gen cards may not be detected if you are using the more modern UEFI bios.
They work on a legacy bios.
Possibly, there is a csm bios option that would allow detection.

Otherwise, yes you can use the HD5450; it is worth a try.

Much simpler to use a dvi connection to the RTX2060.
There is no performance benefit to using a second graphics card.

Reactions: CountMike

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
not trying to get a performance benefit and i dont have a DVI card, i have been using CSM for a while now, ill just take the card out when microsoft forces me on windows 11.

also i tried it and it worked after some driver installs.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
And that's why you don't cheap out on the few bucks you save on the F version... you could be using the iGPU that would run at much lower power add no more noise and wouldn't take away a slot.
i was on a very strict budget and the KF was on sale for 50 less than the K version, also i dont have a second HDMI or DP monitor.

You can, but you may run into issues if you are on windows 11 as the 5450 really isn't supported and Im not sure how it would react, might be fine. But you are better off finding a cheap adapter or cable on Ebay or Amazon than throwing an old 5450 in your system.