Question Can I use a Wi-Fi connection on a computer that has a peer-to-peer ethernet connection?

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Can I use a Wi-Fi connection on a computer that has a peer-to-peer ethernet connection?
I'm using Windows 10 Pro on 3 different computers. 2 laptop and 1 tower. My router is a Asus RT-AC88U. My modem is a AT&T. My 2 portable computers are hooked up to the tower, peer to peer. My portable computers are Asus G75W
. The tower is a Asus-Rampage 5 edition 10 motherboard.
Bob

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following line diagram represent the desired hardware arrangement?

ISP ----> AT&TModem ---->[WAN] ASUS Router ~~~ wireless~~~> Tower ------ Ethernet (x2) -----> portable computers

Do you have two Ethernet adapters in the tower? One on the motherboard perhaps and the other USB and/or PCIe?

On my PC I use a wireless internet adapter and an Ethernet connection, sometimes at the same time. So I'm guessing that should work as well, as long as your computer has an internet adapter for wireless internet as well..

You could do peer to peer via bridging but why would you do that? Why not just use the wireless on the laptops to connect to the Asus router?

Reactions: amerifax

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Ralston & MrClassicT - AT&T Modem is responsible for all my Wi-Fi connections, Sonos speakers, Amazon Echo and xbox. My computer has to be in the same network connection, AT&T, to get full function. The reason for the peer-to-peer ethernet cable is for connecting my portables to my tower. My computers are used mostly for graphic design.
Bob

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
digitalgriffin - I currently have my AT&T modem hooked up to my RT-AC88U router. Then a runner ethernet cable from the router to my tower. My plan was to run an ethernet cable from the router to the 2 portables. The problem seems to be in the Windows 10 special software. It seems they give you a choice of either or but not both, Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
Bob

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
You could do peer to peer via bridging but why would you do that? Why not just use the wireless on the laptops to connect to the Asus router?
connecting the 2 portables to my router by ethernet cable and then running the cable from the router to my tower will require the tower, Windows 10, to acknowledge the ethernet connection. Now the problem is having the ability to use my tower to work with my Spotify software and Sonos speakers which all require Wi-Fi.

I'm not understanding your problem. I assume you want to use Spotify with the Sonos speakers. Doesn't the Sonos app (android/iPhone/Windows/Mac) have Spotify built in as an optional source? I thought it did already. Your Sonos system should work seamlessly with your wireless network.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/controller-app

What do you mean "Will require the tower, Windows 10, to acknowledge the ethernet connection"?

digitalgriffin - I currently have my AT&T modem hooked up to my RT-AC88U router. Then a runner ethernet cable from the router to my tower. My plan was to run an ethernet cable from the router to the 2 portables. The problem seems to be in the Windows 10 special software. It seems they give you a choice of either or but not both, Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
Bob

You can run a cable from the router to your portables (I assume laptops) What do you think all the ethernet ports are for on the back of the router?

Doing it peer to peer bridging will be an epic pain not for the faint of heart.

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I'm not understanding your problem. I assume you want to use Spotify with the Sonos speakers. Doesn't the Sonos app (android/iPhone/Windows/Mac) have Spotify built in as an optional source? I thought it did already. Your Sonos system should seamlessly with your wireless network.

What do you mean "Will require the tower, Windows 10, to acknowledge the ethernet connection"?
Yes. It works good on my Samsung 8. But I'm trying to get ethernet and Wi-Fi on the same computer, tower. I connect my tower with an ethernet cable to my router. The problem is I'm not totally sure that I can then use that same tower for Wi-Fi connections. I have one CAT6 connector on the back of my tower. Is there a way to get that Wi-Fi signal from the Asus RT-AC88u or do I need to connect a Wi-Fi adapter to the tower.

I might mentioned that I have a another motherboard that has 2 CAT6 connectors ports. Can I somehow run to CAT6's from the Asus router to accomplish my needs.
Bob

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Normally you use ethernet or WIFI but not both at the same time. Why?
At times is a lot easier to use a computer rather than a small android, Samson 8, when working with my music. But a half-hour later I might want to transfer some large graphic files back and forth between my computers. I'm not really using them at the same time. But switching back and forth between Wi-Fi and ethernet would be less complicated if I don't have to interact with the switching of the 2.
Bob

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
You can run a cable from the router to your portables (I assume laptops) What do you think all the ethernet ports are for on the back of the router?

I have been the past use the ports in the back of the router to all my computers with no problem. The problem is on my tower I would like to have Wi-Fi also available, active. Then if I need to transfer some very huge graphic files a be able to use ethernet, hopefully. It's
Bob

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

Bridge - assuming I have a strong heart, which I don't, what would the effect BMI computer if I was doing the peer to peer with the bridge and also using Wi-Fi as needed.

Yes. It works good on my Samsung 8. But I'm trying to get ethernet and Wi-Fi on the same computer, tower. I connect my tower with an ethernet cable to my router. The problem is I'm not totally sure that I can then use that same tower for Wi-Fi connections. I have one CAT6 connector on the back of my tower. Is there a way to get that Wi-Fi signal from the Asus RT-AC88u or do I need to connect a Wi-Fi adapter to the tower.

I might mentioned that I have a another motherboard that has 2 CAT6 connectors ports. Can I somehow run to CAT6's from the Asus router to accomplish my needs.
Bob

You can have both wifi and ethernet. But you need to choose the default connection. So yes you can use only 1 at a time. Peer to Peer is bridging. That's the traffic going from your router->tower->laptops/portables. But there is zero reason to do that since you have a router.

If you are trying to increase bandwidth on a single computer by using both wifi and ethernet (called Aggregate connection), then no, that is not supported on windows 10 directly. You have to buy specialized hardware and run multiple lines. Most consumer motherboards with two nics do not support aggregate connections. The second port on consumer motherboards is made for bridging or to act midpoint somewhere in the chain (ie: Firewall) (Disclaimer: Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't tested a lot of these dual port motherboards. But the general consensus is they are worthless.)

Do you really need that kind of bandwidth? By default your limiting factor is usually your WAN internet connection, not you LAN. If your connection isn't fast enough to consistently use your SONOS for streaming Spotify, then you need to set up QOS. It will ensure your spotify data gets through at a reasonable rate. However your entire network throughput will drop on most consumer grade routers.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/qos-and-media-streaming-14088

Last edited:

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
You can have both wifi and ethernet. But you need to choose the default connection. So yes you can use only 1 at a time. Peer to Peer is bridging. That's the traffic going from your router->tower->laptops/portables. But there is zero reason to do that since you have a router.

If you are trying to increase bandwidth on a single computer by using both wifi and ethernet (called Aggregate connection), then no, that is not supported on windows 10 directly. You have to buy specialized hardware and run multiple lines. Most consumer motherboards with two nics do not support aggregate connections. The second port on consumer motherboards is made for bridging or to act midpoint somewhere in the chain (ie: Firewall) (Disclaimer: Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't tested a lot of these dual port motherboards. But the general consensus is they are worthless.)

Do you really need that kind of bandwidth? By default your limiting factor is usually your WAN internet connection, not you LAN. If your connection isn't fast enough to consistently use your SONOS for streaming Spotify, then you need to set up QOS. It will ensure your spotify data gets through at a reasonable rate. However your entire network throughput will drop on most consumer grade routers.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/qos-and-media-streaming-14088
No. Speed is not an issue. I have AT&T connect tech support and have never been able to come to a conclusion with them regarding this issue But today I'm starting to get a breakthrough. I have 2 issues to resolve.
  1. Since I have a Asus RT-AC88u router and the Rampage 5 extreme motherboard I was under the assumption that I could have Wi-Fi by connecting with the cat 5 cable to my router and computer. I did get a Wi-Fi adapter with the purchase of my motherboard but I thought since I was going to my Wi-Fi router I would not needed. I never hooked up the adapter./
  2. Assuming I connect the ethernet ports on the back of my router to my computers I would have the ethernet connection I want. Then there must be some way that I would have to switch between the 2 connection types using Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
Bob

No. Speed is not an issue. I have AT&T connect tech support and have never been able to come to a conclusion with them regarding this issue But today I'm starting to get a breakthrough. I have 2 issues to resolve.
  1. Since I have a Asus RT-AC88u router and the Rampage 5 extreme motherboard I was under the assumption that I could have Wi-Fi by connecting with the cat 5 cable to my router and computer. I did get a Wi-Fi adapter with the purchase of my motherboard but I thought since I was going to my Wi-Fi router I would not needed. I never hooked up the adapter./
  2. Assuming I connect the ethernet ports on the back of my router to my computers I would have the ethernet connection I want. Then there must be some way that I would have to switch between the 2 connection types using Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
Bob

The easiest way to switch between the two (ethernet and wifi on same motherboard) is to make the wifi the default connection and then disable the wifi when you want to use ethernet. For motherboards with wifi and ethernet, the wifi is placed there for convenience alone for those people who don't have an ethernet connection.

Control PAnel->Network and Internet -> Network Connections->menu: Advanced->advanced settings.

A new window will pop up listing all your potential connections. Click the wifi connection and press the green up arrow to increase it's priority. Then close the window. Disable the wifi until you need that ethernet line.

Although I have seen Windows QOS override selections sometimes to the fatter connection, it's not really possible if you disable the adapter.

That said, when you use a router and run individual hardline to each device, the router switch tends to be "non-blocking 1Gb connections" and is usually superior to the vast majority of wireless protocols. That means each device that's connected to the router gets it's own dedicated lane with no bandwidth sharing. So if you are streaming data from one LAN device to another within your network, Ethernet is the way to go without a doubt. It's even superior to WiFi direct which bypasses the router.

OK, all the posts am still unsure what your goal is. I read "WIFI is fine can do everything but is too slow for large files between boxes hence direct connect ethernet to ethernet." Correct me if I read wrong.

If I read you correctly then this should work BUT, your box-to-box ethernet then, should be on separate subnets. Boxes get really confused when you assign the same subnet to more than 1 NIC. And since this box-to-box ethernet has no DHCP, just assign them statics, with NO GATEWAYS.

Temporarily disable WIFI while you are doing this large file transfer to avoid "more than one path to a destination." If disabling WIFI is too much hassle for you, access second destination machine by ip rather than by name/browse, so \\ip.

Last edited:

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I'm not understanding your problem. I assume you want to use Spotify with the Sonos speakers. Doesn't the Sonos app (android/iPhone/Windows/Mac) have Spotify built in as an optional source? I thought it did already. Your Sonos system should work seamlessly with your wireless network.

I ended up using my android Samson note 8 by downloading the Sonos app. I run all my speakers by using the Sonos app. The Sonos app has 55 and a few others within the the program. If I try to use the Spotify app, standalone, it gets alluded sticky. So I'm trying to use to the Sonos app but I pretty much stay within it .

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
OK, all the posts am still unsure what your goal is. I read "WIFI is fine can do everything but is too slow for large files between boxes hence direct connect ethernet to ethernet." Correct me if I read wrong.

If I read you correctly then this should work BUT, your box-to-box ethernet then, should be on separate subnets. Boxes get really confused when you assign the same subnet to more than 1 NIC. And since this box-to-box ethernet has no DHCP, just assign them statics, with NO GATEWAYS.

Temporarily disable WIFI while you are doing this large file transfer to avoid "more than one path to a destination." If disabling WIFI is too much hassle for you, access second destination machine by ip rather than by name/browse, so \\ip.
Well this is what I ended up doing.
My Wi-Fi source is AT&T. AT&T furnishes me with a combination router modem.

I have a RT-AC88U which I use to connect my computer, Rampage 5 Extreme and my Canon Color Image Class MF733Cdw by ethernet, Cat6. I could've connected a couple more computers to the RT-AC88U but I didn't think was a necessary in my case.

1. I run a cat 6 cable from this AT&T modem to my RT-AC88U.
  2. From my RT-AC88U I run a cat 6 cable to my tower, Rampage.
  3. From my RT-AC88U I run a cat 6 cable to my Printer, MF733CDW.

I run all of my other devices from AT&T Wi-Fi. That includes Sonos Speakers, Samson speakers, Samson TV-QN65Q9FAMF, Echo-Dot, Alexa and a Sonos 1 (integrates with Google Alexa system. There's a couple more things on Wi-Fi but I think you get the idea.

All seems to be working very well. But if you ever heard of the expression blood sweat and tears this is what it was all about. I tried many different ways of doing this and after months I ended up where I'm at.
Bob

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I ended up using my android Samson note 8 by downloading the Sonos app. I run all my speakers by using the Sonos app. The Sonos app has 55 and a few others within the the program. If I try to use the Spotify app, standalone, it gets alluded sticky. So I'm trying to use to the Sonos app but I pretty much stay within it .
Right you are. It's built within the Sonos app and it's working fairly decent.