Can I use a Windows 7 OEM copy after the initial install?

FishMonger

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
I've been wanting to upgrade to getting an SSD and I was just wanting to know does anyone know if you're able to install a copy of Windows twice if it's from an OEM copy? I bought an OEM off of Newegg and the only thing I thought was different was that it didn't come with a manual and other things that really aren't necessary, but I heard somewhere that you aren't able to use OEMs for doing a OS wipe and reinstalling and it's just a one time thing.

Will I have to also buy another copy of Windows 7 anyone know? If that's the case I'd rather hold off for another month or two before I buy my SSD.

Also I'm planning on getting a Samsung 840 Series, anyone have any complaints on that SSD?

Solution
Windows will install just fine as long as you unplug the hard drive beforehand, change the boot order to the dvd drive, and use the same computer(motherboard).

That samsung ssd is the most reliable ssd on the market, next to samsung's 840 pro. The read times are great, but since it is tlc flash, it has lower write times, which makes no difference in booting and running programs if you have plenty of RAM.

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
Windows will install just fine as long as you unplug the hard drive beforehand, change the boot order to the dvd drive, and use the same computer(motherboard).

That samsung ssd is the most reliable ssd on the market, next to samsung's 840 pro. The read times are great, but since it is tlc flash, it has lower write times, which makes no difference in booting and running programs if you have plenty of RAM.

Solution

msr02816

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

msr02816

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Don't know anything about any particular ssd over another, but you can use your copy to reinstall to the ssd, just check the format of the ssd and enter your product key when appropriate. there really shouldn't be any issues.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Buy windows 8 OEM , because it can be transferred to a new computer when you move on.Windows 7 OEM is tied to the first motherboard it's installed on.

Windows7-2.jpg

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

OEM vs. Retail

OEM Windows 7 comes preinstalled on computers. This is the cheapest way to buy windows. Large PC manufacturers like Dell, HP etc. (collectively called royalty OEMs) install windows on millions of such PCs. The main characteristics of such systems are:

The license agreement and support agreement is between you and the PC maker, not MS.

Activation by the end user is not required. Windows is preactivated at the factory by the OEM using images and standard SLP keys.

Your copy of windows is locked to that PC. The license is not transferable.

OEM system builder is what you get when you buy from say Newegg or from a local "white box" vendor. It too has the characteristics of Royalty OEM windows. Although it is possible for an individual to buy a System Builder copy, the license requires that the software be installed using the OPK (OEM preinstall kit) and then resold.

Retail version is what you buy from a retailer like Amazon or Bestbuy. Its a full price version that comes packaged in a retail box with a retail product key. It has to be activated online via MS servers using the key on the box, it is not tied to the PC it was first installed on, though it can only be used on a single computer at a time. And, MS directly provides the support for it. It is also more expensive than OEM copies.

As far as functionality is concerned, theres no difference between any of the versions above, given any specific edition (i.e. between OEM pro and retail pro, or between OEM ultimate and retail ultimate).

sevenforums.com

Windows8-1_zps0f2f36f7.png

Windows 8 OEM is a whole different ballgame.

License agreement for the transfer of a Windows 8 license
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

msr02816

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Blackbird, I am running an iso install image from an acer on the g75vw which came with windows 8. So I don't know about all that stuff youre saying I just know what I got going on.