[SOLVED] Can I use an external optical drive with TV?

kingoftown

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2015
I have a HP external optical drive that works via USB. How can I make it work along a TV, like a normal DVD player? Connecting it to the TV via USB doesn't work, as it doesn't even recognise the device. I have an Onida LCD screen( not a smart TV).

Solution
PC Optical drives are data only devices. A DVD or Blu-Ray player has the hardware and software to take the raw data and convert it into a video signal the TV can take in.

A PC with an optical drive still needs a video player, for example, to even play discs.

There are a lot of devices you can get that will add smart features to your TV. Chromecast and Apple TV and the like. There are also several Raspberry Pi and and NUC class computers you can get to do practically anything with a display.

Software like Boxee will allow you to grab files off your network for example. So if you have a PC, or even a router with network storage, you can do some of the things you seem to want to do.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
PC Optical drives are data only devices. A DVD or Blu-Ray player has the hardware and software to take the raw data and convert it into a video signal the TV can take in.

A PC with an optical drive still needs a video player, for example, to even play discs.

There are a lot of devices you can get that will add smart features to your TV. Chromecast and Apple TV and the like. There are also several Raspberry Pi and and NUC class computers you can get to do practically anything with a display.

Software like Boxee will allow you to grab files off your network for example. So if you have a PC, or even a router with network storage, you can do some of the things you seem to want to do.

Solution