[SOLVED] Can I use an M.2 SSD caddy with any computer?

Feb 26, 2021
Hello, I have a Lenovo laptop and the HDD is very slow, can I use an M.2 caddy with a Crucial P5 with any computer?

Solution
Hello, I have a Lenovo laptop and the HDD is very slow, can I use an M.2 caddy with a Crucial P5 with any computer?
The P5 is an NVMe SSD. You can't use those in "any" computer. The better choice is a 2.5 inch SATA SSD like an MX500. Those will work in "any" computer.
The real world difference between an NVMe and a SATA SSD are minimal. Moving from a spinning disk to a solid state is where the BIG performance increase happens. It is diminishing after that.

kanewolf

Titan
The P5 is an NVMe SSD. You can't use those in "any" computer. The better choice is a 2.5 inch SATA SSD like an MX500. Those will work in "any" computer.
The real world difference between an NVMe and a SATA SSD are minimal. Moving from a spinning disk to a solid state is where the BIG performance increase happens. It is diminishing after that.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
you cannot add storage to your laptop

you could change out your internal hard drive

you could also get external storage, but chances are that they will be even slower than your current hard drive
Since a specific model of Lenovo laptop was not provided, you can't absolutely say "you cannot add storage to your laptop".
Most of the time it is a replacement situation but not always.