Can I use an old graphics card from a shorted out motherboard?

Pjotrmajcaj

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015
I don't remember exactly how I did it, but a few years ago I shorted out a motherboard after I put everything together. Rather than checking all of the parts, I just replaced everything right away.

Today, I was looking through some stuff and found that I still had the graphics card laying around (HD6870), so I was wondering if I could use it in CrossFire with the replacement one. I thought it would be kind of a neat thing to do since I've been meaning to upgrade for a long time, but I haven't gotten around to it.
Could I do that, and would it even be safe to try?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
There is some risk, I would try it out on a old system first, but its unlikely to cause any damage to your current system even if it is faulty.

HOWEVER, do so at your own risk. It may be a small risk, but the risk is still there it could damage your other components.

If your motherboard supports crossfire, and your PSU has the capacity (and you have a crossfire connector), then give it a go if you feel like taking the risk.

Sensei Gamer

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

Just sayin though, I don't think AMD need connectors like NVIDIA graphics cards. For HD 6870 crossfire you need sufficient power supply and a compatible motherboard. oh and makes sure that the Power supply that you are getting has enough number of pins for the graphics card. cheers

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

These ones do, only the newest ones dont (290/290x/390/390x/fury etc).