Can I use an old HDD on a new PC build?

Sam Stroth

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
I'm planning on building a new PC, but I was hoping to use the HDD that I currently have everything installed on that's in my current build. I know that I will have to buy a new copy of windows (I am going to get a small SSD for that anyway), but I want to keep all my save data and the like for all my games, as well as all my media and stuff. And would it be as easy as just deleting the old copy of windows from my current HDD after I get the new copy of windows booted up on my SSD?

Solution

1. Applications on that drive will not work.

2. Media files, no problem. Mostly. See below.

3. No, it isn't as easy as just "deleting the old copy of windows". It if far, far easier to move the desired data OFF that drive to somewhere else, wipe the...

USAFRet

Titan

1. Applications on that drive will not work.

2. Media files, no problem. Mostly. See below.

3. No, it isn't as easy as just "deleting the old copy of windows". It if far, far easier to move the desired data OFF that drive to somewhere else, wipe the drive of all partitions, and then move stuff back.
A Windows install is more than just the Windows folder. And you'll run into permission issues with your personal files in that old Windows install.

4. "small ssd" I hope you're not thinking of TooSmall. 250GB is the recommended smallest.

5. What OS is this?

Solution
As long as old drive has connection compatible with new motherboard (unless its ancient it should be compatible) you can use it as secondary drive without problem. There is no need to delete any data on it. If you want to free some space you can of course delete old windows files from it. However any programs that were on old HDD need to be reinstalled, otherwise they will not work.