Can I use an old motherboard with a new HDD and RAM?

jcup

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
Hello, a friend of mine is looking into getting a PC and I have enough spare parts around from old builds to almost have a full operating PC. Only thing needed would be a HDD, new OS, and RAM. I used the old motherboard with the HDD i have in my current PC so I was wondering if there would be any problems putting a fresh OS and HDD paired with it? I know OS and motherboards "marry" eachother so you cant use the same OS on different systems so I dont know if there would be any troubles getting a new one for the old MoBo
Thank you

Solution
the so called "marrige" is for when you try to put hdd with installed OS on completely different machine, it will have no troubles to put new OS with new HDD if you are using old parts. just make sure the parts are actually compatible and the system is running stable

vesp3r

Distinguished
the so called "marrige" is for when you try to put hdd with installed OS on completely different machine, it will have no troubles to put new OS with new HDD if you are using old parts. just make sure the parts are actually compatible and the system is running stable

Solution

jcup

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013

Alright sounds good. In that case im sure it will be stable. I used to use the old system so i doubt a new OS, HDD, or RAM would have any affect on that. CPU, Mobo, and GPU are all good to go. Thanks for answering