Question Can I use an old ssd on a new pc?

PikkiD2

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
So I got a new pc and it has its os on a hdd, my old pc has a ssd, so would I be able to use it with a factory reseted windows. Could either of these methods work?
  1. Factory reset the windows with the ssd being in the old pc and then taking it out and putting it in the new pc and selecting it as the boot drive and then formatting the hdd
  2. Unplug the hdd and put in the ssd in the new pc, factory reset windows then plug in the hdd and then format it
Thanks

You can use the SSD in the new PC, but there are several things I should caution you about. First you would likely void your new PC's warranty. Second regarding your (1), that's likely to be problem prone because it's tailored to the old PC, so you could easily run into problems, possibly it might not even boot up. Regarding your (2) the best thing would be to make a bootable DVD or flash drive to format and reformat the SSD. If you have one with the Windows 10 install files, you can use that, if not, download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft and run it to make the bootable media.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It depends on how different the old and new PCs are. It also depends on if the Win (10?) version is proprietary or retail. If retail, it may be best to just start fresh with a clean install of Win on the SSD in the new PC using the product key you have to activate Win.

Either way, it won't hurt to give your method(s) a try.

USAFRet

Titan
So I got a new pc and it has its os on a hdd, my old pc has a ssd, so would I be able to use it with a factory reseted windows. Could either of these methods work?
  1. Factory reset the windows with the ssd being in the old pc and then taking it out and putting it in the new pc and selecting it as the boot drive and then formatting the hdd
  2. Unplug the hdd and put in the ssd in the new pc, factory reset windows then plug in the hdd and then format it
Thanks

Where did the OS come from initially?
Which OS is it?

There are two considerations with a move like this, Licensing and Operation.

(assuming windows 10)
Licensing...
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

For the Operation...will it boot up or won't it?
That is the eternal question. And the answer is a 100% maybe.
3 possible outcomes:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.

I've seen all 3.
Prepare for a full wipe and reinstall. Be thankful if it just works.

Your #1:
Do that with only the SSD. Connect the HDD later.

Your #2:
You can't do a "factory reset" if it fails to boot up.

And if you're going back to "factory", you might as well just do a full clean install in the new hardware. That WILL work.

PikkiD2

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
Ok, thanks for the replies, however me not knowing how to do any of this, I think the safest choice is just to buy a new ssd and a win10 product key.