[SOLVED] Can I use an old TPlink ac1200 to extend my wifi?

rishi547

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2014
I have an old router, and im at uni, but the wifi sucks, I brought an old TP-Link ac1200 we had lying about at home and want to connect it up to extend the wifi. I know wifi bridging is a thing, but for the life of me, I can't find that option.
No ethernet, powerline or wall extenders in the house, so im stuck with this shitty wifi or using this router to help.
I guess what I'm asking is, is there anyway wirelessly to connect this old router to the virgin media hub router that is pumping the wifi, so that it can extend it.
Any solutions available?

Last edited:
Solution
If you think you can just place it next to your pc and it magically improve your wifi that will not happen. The router will get the same poor single your machine does and then if you run it as a repeater it will make it even worse transmitting a interfering signal.

A repeater generally needs to go 1/2 between the source of the signal and your pc. I suspect you do not have that option.

In addition a repeater needs a feature called WDS to be enabled on the router. Generally it is recommended that feature be disabled since it can be a security exposure. Sound routers you must key in the mac address of the repeater for it to be able to connect.

In any case the router must have the feature to even try. You might consider third...
If you think you can just place it next to your pc and it magically improve your wifi that will not happen. The router will get the same poor single your machine does and then if you run it as a repeater it will make it even worse transmitting a interfering signal.

A repeater generally needs to go 1/2 between the source of the signal and your pc. I suspect you do not have that option.

In addition a repeater needs a feature called WDS to be enabled on the router. Generally it is recommended that feature be disabled since it can be a security exposure. Sound routers you must key in the mac address of the repeater for it to be able to connect.

In any case the router must have the feature to even try. You might consider third party firmware like dd-wrt but you need to research if that router is supported by any of the third party images. DD-wrt any many of the other images support repeater mode. This assume you can get past the problem described above.

Solution