[SOLVED] Can I use an unused 3-4 year old AIO cooler for my PC?

Oct 29, 2020
Years ago, I bought a h100i v2 for my first build, but I decided to go with air cooling because I thought it was difficult to install. There is a thermal pad on the cooler but I can definitely apply more paste if needed. I am wondering if this cooler is still usable or if I should buy a new one.

Solution
Years ago, I bought a h100i v2 for my first build, but I decided to go with air cooling because I thought it was difficult to install. There is a thermal pad on the cooler but I can definitely apply more paste if needed. I am wondering if this cooler is still usable or if I should buy a new one.
Intel mounting hardware will be OK. You may not have AM4 mounting hardware in a 3 year old AIO.
BUT, that has 3 years of time on the coolant and hoses deteriorating. For the relative cost, I would not risk it.
If you purchased top-tier air cooling, you may be able to reuse THAT.
Oct 28, 2020
If you are using the same cpu type you should be fine, otherwise you may run into a bracket compatibility issue. There are kits designed to clean already used fans to make sure your copper/aluminum surface is clean and smooth for maximum heat transfer. Take a look at this: CPU Cooler Cleaner/debris remover

Don't forget you will need to apply a dab of arctic silver once you place the cooler back on. This goes for the cpu. Make sure that surface is clean and free of debris.

kanewolf

Titan
Intel mounting hardware will be OK. You may not have AM4 mounting hardware in a 3 year old AIO.
BUT, that has 3 years of time on the coolant and hoses deteriorating. For the relative cost, I would not risk it.
If you purchased top-tier air cooling, you may be able to reuse THAT.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
Sep 28, 2020
A key part of an AIO is the warranty, it protects you if it leaks. You probably don’t want to risk new parts on an out of warranty AIO.
Is sad warranty going to replace any parts damaged by the leak? like a GPU or CPU? I'm betting no, or at the very most will be a up hill battle to get them too if its covered.
If the warranty does not cover other parts so all you get out of a warranty is a new AOI. Something he'd have to buy for the warranty in the first place