[SOLVED] Can I use and rx 550 or a GTX 1050 with a 180w psu.

Sep 24, 2020
I have a ryzen 3 3200G, 8gb of ram, and a 256 gb nvme ssd. I need a card to use in this system. Thank you.

Solution
You'll find them in HP prebuilts, they aren't standard ATX psus.
This pc uses a 180w Gold psu and is powering an i5-8400 and gtx1050ti (no external 6pin)
https://support.hp.com/my-en/document/c06049219

Although granted it's HP, therefore no guarantee its a full power cpu or gpu, but maybe chopped versions with disabled attributes which lowers performance and TDP, but still registers as a fully vamped cpu/card. Otherwise you'd be looking at 135w (cpu 65w/gpu 70w) on those 2 alone, with 50w being average for the rest of the pc.

So don't assume you can use aftermarket, full power equivalents as replacements.

Most likely it's also a Delta made psu, which is probably capable of @ 220w ±, as Delta has a habit of downgrading its...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Really going to depend on the specifics of the PSU.
180W continuous, and a half-decent unit, it might be doable with an RX550, a 50W TDP card. The 1050 is 75W IIRC, so that might be a little tight.

Perhaps a GT1030 would be a reasonable solution for you?

Of course, if it's 180W peak &/or a poor quality unit, all bets are off - and the smart answer would be no.

Out of curiosity, why do you need a discreet GPU for the system? The 3200G has an iGP....

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Thank so much but would more ram beneift me?

Probably not for basic video editing or CS:GO, no..... 8GB is probably a fair pairing with that setup.

What speed is your current RAM though? Ryzen (and especially iGP) benefit from faster memory.
If the kit is <3000MHz, then an upgrade in speed may well be more useful vs. capacity in the tasks you mention.

Reactions: Cmacc

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Are you kidding me. Heck no your system already takes 130w avg on idle. Once you play a game that will go above 200w and then some. So it is not going to happen my friend unless you want to blow up your PC and what not.🖐🤷‍♀️💯👽

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You'll find them in HP prebuilts, they aren't standard ATX psus.
This pc uses a 180w Gold psu and is powering an i5-8400 and gtx1050ti (no external 6pin)
https://support.hp.com/my-en/document/c06049219

Although granted it's HP, therefore no guarantee its a full power cpu or gpu, but maybe chopped versions with disabled attributes which lowers performance and TDP, but still registers as a fully vamped cpu/card. Otherwise you'd be looking at 135w (cpu 65w/gpu 70w) on those 2 alone, with 50w being average for the rest of the pc.

So don't assume you can use aftermarket, full power equivalents as replacements.

Most likely it's also a Delta made psu, which is probably capable of @ 220w ±, as Delta has a habit of downgrading its ratings below actual ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barty1884
Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Their no 180 Gold power supplies that I have ever heard of?

Probably an OEM unit inside an HP or something. I think Delta have a couple 180W units with gold efficiency, but I don't know anything about them.

Heck no your system already takes 130w avg on idle.

You think a 3200G pulls 130W idle??? That's the only component in the system currently with any substantial power draw ... And it's not 130W!!

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_3400g_review,4.html

Check the power consumption numbers in there.... And that's the 3400G, so SMT + stronger GPU vs what the OP has.

Obviously it'll depend on system specifics, but I think your numbers are way off. Probably right on the money with ~130W under full load.

You play a game that will go above 200w and then some. So it is not going to happen my friend unless you want to blow up your PC and what not.🖐🤷‍♀️💯👽

As configured, today? Pre-GPU add? Not. A. Chance.
I'm assuming it's a prebuilt and if that's the case, the "180W" will be fine, as configured at the moment, for the duration of the systems warranty.

Sep 24, 2020
Probably an OEM unit inside an HP or something. I think Delta have a couple 180W units with gold efficiency, but I don't know anything about them.

You think a 3200G pulls 130W idle??? That's the only component in the system currently with any substantial power draw ... And it's not 130W!!

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_3400g_review,4.html

Check the power consumption numbers in there.... And that's the 3400G, so SMT + stronger GPU vs what the OP has.

Obviously it'll depend on system specifics, but I think your numbers are way off. Probably right on the money with ~130W under full load.

As configured, today? Pre-GPU add? Not. A. Chance.
I'm assuming it's a prebuilt and if that's the case, the "180W" will be fine, as configured at the moment, for the duration of the systems warranty.
So do you think I could fit a GPU in?