ZuRriX

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Here is what I mean.

I want to buy Raidmax NV-R120FBR3 kit, which is basically a set of 3x Raidmax NV-R120FB ARGB Aura Sync compatible fans, an ARGB 5V controller/HUB and an RF Remote.

I own an ASRock H270M Fatal1ty Performance motherboard, that is not ARGB compatible, meaning it does not have an ARGB header I can connect the fans to (although it does have an RGB header, but in this case, I have no use of it).

I plan to buy a MOBO with and ARGB header that is also Aura Sync (or maybe Mystic Light Sync compatible, will probably go with Aura) in the future so I could sync them all up and control them through the software. I don't want to be spending money buying RGB fans now and buying ARGB ones later. Not economic.

So, I want to know can I plug the ARGB fans into the ARGB 5V HUB and mess with the speed, modes and colors through the RF remote included? And in the future I will get an ARGB compatible MOBO, as stated above.

From what I know, yes, I should be able to do that. I can connect the fans with the molex to my PSU for power.

Please tell me if I git something wrong and, in case I did, what that something is.

Thanks in advance and cheers.

Edit; So, in reality, the fans would not even be connected to the MOBO, but I am interested for them working with the ARGB HUB.

Last edited:
Solution
Correct. The "Hub" included with the 3-pack really is the Controller that powers AND controls the RGB lights in the fans. The hand-held box is just the item that tells the controller what to display. And yes, this is completely independent of the mobo, so there are no software utilities involved.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, what you plan will work. That Raidmax system comes with a controller box you can plug all those ARGB fans into, and a hand-held box you use to set the ARGB lighting effects manually. In this scenario, there is NO connection of ARGB lighting units to the mobo. LATER when you get a different mobo that DOES have an ARGB header, you can toss the Raidmax controller and hand-held, and simply connect the fans' ARGB cables to the mobo header. For that purpose, note that the ARGB cables from each fan have BOTH a male and female connector on them. This allows you to daisy-chain the ARGB connection from the first fan to the second, etc. so that a single mobo ARGB header can power and control several fans' ARGB lights. And yes, different mobo makers provide different software tools to control their ARGB headers, but as long as the header's pin configuration matches what is on your fans' cables, they all will work. And your fans do come with the most common ARGB connector type.

You may have a couple of options for power and control of the SPEED of those fans. Note that such a fan has TWO cables from each - one is the fan motor cable that normally goes to a mobo SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN header, and the other is the ARGB lighting cable. In effect, such a unit is two devices in one - a fan and lights. These fans have TWO connectors on the ends of their motor cables. One is a standard 3-pin fan connector, and hence the only way to control that fan motor's speed is if the mobo header can be configured to use the older Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode). The manual for your current mobo indicates that its CHA_FAN headers use instead the newer PWM Mode and does NOT indicate there is any other option to choose. But look for that, anyway, in case the manual is merely incomplete. If there is no such option, connecting those fans to such a header will mean they always run full speed. In choosing your NEXT mobo, look for that option it its BIOS Setup menus.

In the meantime, if there is no DC Mode option on your current mobo's CHA_FAN headers, you also have the option to connect each fan's motor directly to a fixed 12 VDC power source from the PSU via a Molex connector. The fans do have such a connector on them, too, and you have planned to do this. Done this way you will have fans running full speed all the time, again. Just note that, if you connect to the Molex line, do NOT plug the standard 3-pin fan connector into anything! Connecting both can ruin the mobo fan header. But if you choose to connect to PSU Molex, you will not see any fan speeds because they are not connected to the mobo headers.

ZuRriX

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Just note that, if you connect to the Molex line, do NOT plug the standard 3-pin fan connector into anything! Connecting both can ruin the mobo fan header.

Whoa, I did not know that could happen. I am so glad that I did not connect my first LED fan when I bought it. That is the only good time to have a short 3-pin fan cable.

And thank you for replying, you gave me much insight.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Correct. The "Hub" included with the 3-pack really is the Controller that powers AND controls the RGB lights in the fans. The hand-held box is just the item that tells the controller what to display. And yes, this is completely independent of the mobo, so there are no software utilities involved.

Solution