[SOLVED] Can I use AutoCAD on this laptop?

Jun 18, 2021
Laptop - ASUS X509jp (Core i5 10th, 8 GB ram, 512 PCIe NVME SSD, Nvidia MX330 2GB)

I plan to use AutoCAD 2017 or newer and AutoCAD Plant 3D 2015 or newer (light use; mostly 2D, rarely 3D piping).

What kind of performance can I expect with this setup? Do I need to use an older version?

I really appreciate any help.

Solution
Look at AutoCAD's recommended hardware and software specs.

Most software comes with recommended specs in the form of "minimum", "recommended", and "best".

You do not want "minimum" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford.

The bottom line is that the laptop and software will only perform at the level of the slowest component/configuration.

On your laptop use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both but only one at time) to determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource. Determine if performance improves by limiting start apps and other known and unnecessary processes that may be running. Anything unknown should be researched to discover its nature, purpose...

Ralston18

Titan
Look at AutoCAD's recommended hardware and software specs.

Most software comes with recommended specs in the form of "minimum", "recommended", and "best".

You do not want "minimum" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford.

The bottom line is that the laptop and software will only perform at the level of the slowest component/configuration.

On your laptop use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both but only one at time) to determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource. Determine if performance improves by limiting start apps and other known and unnecessary processes that may be running. Anything unknown should be researched to discover its nature, purpose, and source.

If possible, get a trial copy of AutoCAD to test directly. And/or run other graphically intense apps to see how the laptop performs.

For the most part, more RAM is likely to be the most beneficial.

And do remember that before doing any testing or tinkering to ensure that all important data is backed up and stored else.

Reactions: Rafsan004
Solution

Lutfij

Titan
As stated by folks above, you will need to be as far away from minimum and closer towards recommended(or more) as possible. Adding more ram is a good idea but then again, each system will be taxed differently considering that not everyone renders with the same settings and not all architects(assuming you are one) will design the same space the same way(read, different lighting and textures used). Do note, if it's 2D, you're good as is, if it's 3D renders, then you will need something higher in terms of specs or an older version of AutoCAD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rafsan004