Question Can I use both of my PC's 3.5mm audio input jacks "at the same time" ?

rbogomolec

Honorable
Nov 16, 2017
Here's a strange question, I'm gonna try my best to explain what I mean.

I'm gaming on the pc, but console style (big tv, lying on the couch, wireless controller). I do have a USB headset, but I switched to earbuds cuz they are more comfortable for me. Bluetooth proved to be lagging too much, so I bought a 2m long cable and plugged my wired earbuds into the PC through them. I plugged them in on the front of the PC case (3.5mm audio jack). However, on the back of the PC case (also 3.5mm audio jack) there's another device connected, my speaker. I checked in the playback device settings and saw that Windows doesn't realize that it's 2 completely different devices, it thinks it's the same. Windows also knows that both the front and the back jack are being used. And even when the speaker in the back is turned off, windows still knows that something is plugged in in the back of my case. I'd like to avoid having to pull out the speaker jack from the back of the PC everytime I want to plug the earbuds in the front.

So, is it ok to just leave the speaker plugged in in the back while it's turned off and then plug in the earbuds in the front? It seems kinda strange cuz I'm using the same type of audio input for 2 different devices. Can things get strange because of this? Or is this actually the very reason why PC cases have 2 audio inputs - back for speakers, front for headphones?

Ralston18

Titan
Suggestion regarding:

"I'd like to avoid having to pull out the speaker jack from the back of the PC everytime I want to plug the earbuds in the front."

Use an audio extension cable to "extend" the jack from the back of the PC to the front of the PC or anywhere else that will make the extended end easier to access.

= = = =

Also: right click the small speaker icon normally located in the lower right screen corner. A menu window should appear that will, via various menu options, lead to numerous audio related options. Windows, tabs, properties, etc..

And do pay close attention to the audio jacks and plugs being used. There are differences.

Recommended reading (Cable chick):

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Jun 18, 2023
I can't see what you are doing is going to cause a problem.

I use the 3.5 mm audio on soundcard at back to run both speakers and headphones with a splitter. I also plug another pair of headphones into the front 3.5 mm audio.

Also if you have Realtek HD audio(Gigabyte) you have some advance settings to direct outputs.

Reactions: rbogomolec

rbogomolec

Honorable
Nov 16, 2017
I can't see what you are doing is going to cause a problem.

I use the 3.5 mm audio on soundcard at back to run both speakers and headphones with a splitter. I also plug another pair of headphones into the front 3.5 mm audio.

Also if you have Realtek HD audio(Gigabyte) you have some advance settings to direct outputs.
Cool, that's the answer I was hoping for! 😁 Tnx mate!