[SOLVED] Can I use CAT 8 on a 1000 Base-TX

Aug 18, 2019
I would like to use CAT8 cable on a 1000 Base-TX connection. First of all will it work? What effect will it have on the connection verses using CAT6a? Will the ports work at a higher frequency? Also, how far can you go on a CAT8 at 1000 Base-TX verses a 40000 Base-TX connection? Will the cable get hot (heat up)?

udino999

Last edited:
Solution
the port is what determines the speed. so no, "faster" cable won't make it go faster. i don't think there is such a thing as Cat 8 anyway.

as for distance, all the ethernet cable is limited to the same 100 m. but you won't get good performance at that distance unless everything is perfect.

150ft or so is probably the best case scenario though you can get to 200 ft with quality cable pretty well.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the port is what determines the speed. so no, "faster" cable won't make it go faster. i don't think there is such a thing as Cat 8 anyway.

as for distance, all the ethernet cable is limited to the same 100 m. but you won't get good performance at that distance unless everything is perfect.

150ft or so is probably the best case scenario though you can get to 200 ft with quality cable pretty well.

Solution