Can i use ddr2 memory with an amd am3 processor?

Blittzin

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Hi. Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry if I put this in the wrong thread. I`ll preface this by saying I`m looking in the future at having an am3 motherboard ddr3 memory and and am3 processor. I picked the asus m4n82 deluxe with an amd am3 socket amd athlon II x2 processor. i already have the memory ddr2 pc-6400. Later I`ll replace the cpu with a phenom black edition 965 deneb and 8 gigs of ddr3 ram. will the asus , the cpu and the memory i have work together until I can get the ddr it`s pricey. The unknown for me is really will the memory work because the board and cpu are both am3. Thanks again.

Solution
The answer to your question is Yes, you can use DDR2 memory with an AMD AM3 processor. You can can use DDR3 memory with the AM3 series. What you can't do is use DDR3 memory on any motherboard designed for DDR2 memory - like the one you have.

So it's not an issue of replacing the processor later and changing to DDR3 RAM - it'll never happen. You can however sell your current board, processor and RAM and replace all 3 in the future - rather than just the processor and RAM.

Here's the page for your motherborad, good reading there.
http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=acJsiQGEWJ7Fdp0m

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
The answer to your question is Yes, you can use DDR2 memory with an AMD AM3 processor. You can can use DDR3 memory with the AM3 series. What you can't do is use DDR3 memory on any motherboard designed for DDR2 memory - like the one you have.

So it's not an issue of replacing the processor later and changing to DDR3 RAM - it'll never happen. You can however sell your current board, processor and RAM and replace all 3 in the future - rather than just the processor and RAM.

Here's the page for your motherborad, good reading there.
http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=acJsiQGEWJ7Fdp0m

Solution

Blittzin

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

Thank you.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Your Socket AM3 processor will fit into Socket AM2+ motherboards.

AM2+ motherboards were made to bridge the gap between AM2 and AM3 processors by supporting both.

In essense, an AM2+ motherboard is an AM3 motherboard with DDR2 slots.

AM2 processors fit AM2+ but not AM3. AM3 processors fit AM2+ but not AM2.

So to use your old RAM with your new processor you must also have an AM2+ motherboard.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Thanks Crashman, I've never seen such a clear explanation before. It's confusing for users because there's an impression, given by some mfgs, that there's such a thing as an AM2+ processor, when in fact, there are only AM2+ motherboards and AM2+ sockets.

Blittzin

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

thanks again if u have a extra minute will you read my thread about my mb being hybrid sli ready but not finding ocz sli-ready mem on vendor list thanks again your knowledge is humbling peace

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I looked up the link to your motherboard, it has DDR2 slots, not DDR3 slots, so you can't upgrade to DDR3 without replacing the board regardless of how the memory is rated.

SLI-Ready memory is simply a marketing name that has no connection whatsoever with SLI. SLI-Ready memory has nothing to do with "anything" except that it has built-in profiles for overclocking. We overclock stuff manually.

Hybrid SLI is a form of SLI, hybrid combines the power saving function of onboard graphics with the 3D power of add-in graphics cards.