[SOLVED] Can i use different memory / ram sticks in my motherboard

ItsKieranL

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
I bought a ASUS Maximus VIII Hero motherboard, and i have different types of memory sticks such as the hyperx fury 1x8 2400mhz stick, and two Corsair vengeance LPX 2X4 sticks which are also 2400mhz.

Is it alright if i put them all in together to make 16gb of ram, or would that not work.

Solution

I don't see the point in just buying and using the 2x4GB and getting rid of the 1x8GB. The gains are way too minor in dual channel to just end up with the same amount of RAM. It would make more sense to just spend a little bit more and buy the exact same make and model of (1x8GB) to pair with the 1x8GB you...
You'll only find out if you try. It'll probably work but they may end up being incompatible. If they do work it'll be in single channel mode only. They may also only work at 2133Mhz. Although you could mess with the RAM settings to see if they'll work at 2400 with custom timings.

ItsKieranL

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015

Would it be better if i just used the 2x4 for the duel channel? and for the 2400mhz. It is C16 unlike the other hyperx fury which is C14

I don't see the point in just buying and using the 2x4GB and getting rid of the 1x8GB. The gains are way too minor in dual channel to just end up with the same amount of RAM. It would make more sense to just spend a little bit more and buy the exact same make and model of (1x8GB) to pair with the 1x8GB you already have. At least get another RAM module with the same Timings (the detailed CAS like 9-9-9-24), Frequency and Voltage.

If you want to guarantee dual channel and full speed. Sell the 1x8GB you have and buy a prepackaged (2x8GB) set. This is the most expensive but only solution guaranteed by the manufacturer. If you want to be really precise make sure the RAM is also on your motherboard's memory support list (QVL).

Edit: Upon reviewing your original post. You already own all modules. Even if the RAM only operates in single channel and 2133Mhz. I'd still rather have 16GB than 8GB at 2400mhz and dual channel. There are too few tasks where the minor decrease in memory performance will outweigh the benefits of more RAM. If you are really concerned buy a matched 16GB kit and sell what you have.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS