[SOLVED] Can I use differnt models of RAM

Dmeercat

Commendable
Feb 29, 2020
So I just remembered I have a spare 2x 16 gbs of RAM sitting in my living room, and I was wondering can I use those in my PC while I have a different model of RAM already installed in my PC which is also 2x 16 gbs of RAM?

Solution
Assuming the memory and other components are not faulty, it is not surprising the system had issues.

Mixing memory from different kits and even mixing individual modules often cause problems because of variations in module characteristics.

There are several things to try -

1) Get a system compatible 4 x 16 GB quad/dual channel kit of memory instead. The modules have been tested to be compatible and are guaranteed to work together. Existing modules could be kept as back up or sell them.

2) Try the modules in different memory slots. First two modules in slots 1 and 3, and second two modules in slots 2 and 4. Or first two modules in slots 2 and 4, and the second two modules in slots 1 and 3.

3) Initially reduce memory frequency in...

Dmeercat

Commendable
Feb 29, 2020
yes you can, but all the sticks will run at the speed of the lowest stick and you cannot guarentee stability.
it definetly will be wonky, but give it a shot, it wont brick your pc, thats for sure.
Well quick update I did attempt to do it and after turning on my pc it wouldn’t post my fans were going off so I quickly shut down the pc and put the normal 2x16 ram sticks and it posted.

Assuming the memory and other components are not faulty, it is not surprising the system had issues.

Mixing memory from different kits and even mixing individual modules often cause problems because of variations in module characteristics.

There are several things to try -

1) Get a system compatible 4 x 16 GB quad/dual channel kit of memory instead. The modules have been tested to be compatible and are guaranteed to work together. Existing modules could be kept as back up or sell them.

2) Try the modules in different memory slots. First two modules in slots 1 and 3, and second two modules in slots 2 and 4. Or first two modules in slots 2 and 4, and the second two modules in slots 1 and 3.

3) Initially reduce memory frequency in BIOS.

4) Initially ease off memory timings in BIOS.

5) Raise DRAM Voltage in BIOS.

6) Try other 2 x 16 GB kits until a compatible combination is found. This might take awhile and might require testing several kits. Could be the more expensive option.

Reactions: computermonkey
Solution
Mar 1, 2020

Learn something new everyday - I didn't know it was not ok to mix ram like that. Thought that if it was rated the same specs it was basically the same to the computer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts