Can I use either PCI-e slot in SLI mobo?

Barley_Mcflexo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2005
Was wondering if I had the option of using either PCI-e slot in an nForce 4 SLI mobo when only using a single card? I'm asking because I have space limitations in my case, and with new generation graphics cards getting longer and longer, this information would be helpful in planning my next build.

Many thanks.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I'm assuming all SLI motherboards you can use either slot. I do know for sure that DFI's LanParty UT Ultra/SLI boards you can use the 2nd slot with only one video card. You'll be limited on the 2nd slot though to x8, but I don't believe it is a problem because even Nvidia's GTX doesn't use all the bandwidth that x8 offers (or if it does it's very small performance hit).

Oh you touch my Tralala

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
On SLI boards you can use either slot, but the second slot would only be in x8 mode, and for most boards you'd have to choose SLI mode with the selector card. That switch doesn't enable SLI (a software setting), but instead splits the x16 pathway into two x8's.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>