[SOLVED] Can I use existing PSU for my new build --- if not, recommendations for new one ?

Jo_Hardy

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Hello all,

I've had an FSP Hydro 600 W PSU for 4 years now, which was the best I could get for my budget here in SL with a 5 year warranty back then. It developed a voltage drop issue after 3 years and was replaced under warranty. Albeit it appears to be a used/display unit, since there was some rust on it.

Currently have a 3rd gen i5 (3470) system with a GTX 1060 6 GB and 1 HDD and 1 SSD and 2 RAM.

Building an 11th gen 11400 system (reusing graphics card), and happened across this PSU tier list where the FSP falls in the bad bracket i guess...

I could buy either of these ANTEC HIGH CURRENT GAMER 750 W
ANTEC EATHWATTS GOLD PRO 750 W
OR their 650 W versions. This shop is the only one offering even a 5 year warranty, and that too only for these Antec units, hence choosing them.

What are the differences between these two series other than being semi vs fully modular (Earthwatts Gold Pro and High Current Gamer)? Does the HCG have better internals. And does getting a 750 W PSU noticeably reduce the stress on the PSU compared to a 650 W that it could be good.

Any and all advice welcome, thanks in advance! :)

Ps- Apparently here in the tropics, PSUs don't last that long.

Thanks for reading and for any help :)

Solution
The power consumption from the platform upgrade will go up by a bit, but overall not a lot. That being said, it probably would be best to upgrade it to a higher quality unit if you can afford it.

For a system with an i5 and 1060, even 650w is way more than is needed. I would not pay more for a 750w unless you plan on upgrading to a high end GPU in the future.

The hcg gold and earthwatts gold pro both are decent quality units, the latter being a rebrand of the seasonic focus gx/focus gold.
Hello all,

I've had an FSP Hydro 600 W PSU for 4 years now, which was the best I could get for my budget here in SL with a 5 year warranty back then. It developed a voltage drop issue after 3 years and was replaced under warranty. Albeit it appears to be a used/display unit, since there was some rust on it.

Currently have a 3rd gen i5 (3470) system with a GTX 1060 6 GB and 1 HDD and 1 SSD and 2 RAM.

Building an 11th gen 11400 system (reusing graphics card), and happened across this PSU tier list where the FSP falls in the bad bracket i guess...

I could buy either of these ANTEC HIGH CURRENT GAMER 750 W
ANTEC EATHWATTS GOLD PRO 750 W
OR their 650 W versions. This shop is the only one offering even a 5 year warranty, and that too only for these Antec units, hence choosing them.

What are the differences between these two series other than being semi vs fully modular (Earthwatts Gold Pro and High Current Gamer)? Does the HCG have better internals. And does getting a 750 W PSU noticeably reduce the stress on the PSU compared to a 650 W that it could be good.

Any and all advice welcome, thanks in advance! :)

Ps- Apparently here in the tropics, PSUs don't last that long.

Thanks for reading and for any help :)
yes, you could use it, but it is better to save up for better psu like the ones you listed. also keep in mind that 12th gen is going to get cheaper by next year, so either you go with lga 1200 platform, or using 12th gen + ddr4 motherboard (z690, or b660 next year, the ddr4 variant).

Reactions: Jo_Hardy
The power consumption from the platform upgrade will go up by a bit, but overall not a lot. That being said, it probably would be best to upgrade it to a higher quality unit if you can afford it.

For a system with an i5 and 1060, even 650w is way more than is needed. I would not pay more for a 750w unless you plan on upgrading to a high end GPU in the future.

The hcg gold and earthwatts gold pro both are decent quality units, the latter being a rebrand of the seasonic focus gx/focus gold.

Solution
The psu power you need is primarily determined by the graphics card.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Since the gpu is not changing, I think you are ok to continue using the 600w psu.

Past graphics power needs, there comes the need for extra power when overclocking.
Overclocking is not applicable to a 11400.
Overclocking 11th and 12th gen processors does not seem to be very productive. The default turbo mechanism can deliver higher clocks to a few cores when needed.

Jo_Hardy

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
yes, you could use it, but it is better to save up for better psu like the ones you listed. also keep in mind that 12th gen is going to get cheaper by next year, so either you go with lga 1200 platform, or using 12th gen + ddr4 motherboard (z690, or b660 next year, the ddr4 variant).
Thanks, yep went ahead and bought the the Antec HCG 750 W yesterday :) I've already got myself the 11400 (as a gift). So going to stick with it, but thanks anyways!

Thanks, I eventually decided on getting the HCG 750 W since it only costs a bit more and is fully modular. Just in case I sell the PC if I migrate in the future, this might hold value better :)

The psu power you need is primarily determined by the graphics card.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Since the gpu is not changing, I think you are ok to continue using the 600w psu.

Past graphics power needs, there comes the need for extra power when overclocking.
Overclocking is not applicable to a 11400.
Overclocking 11th and 12th gen processors does not seem to be very productive. The default turbo mechanism can deliver higher clocks to a few cores when needed.

Yes, thank you for all the info, went ahead with the HCG 750 W for better future proofing plus higher value if selling PC later :)

Thanks all. I finally bought the PSU (HCG 750 W) yesterday