Question Can I use GTX 970 drivers for a GTX 1080 (troubleshooting) ?

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Hey all!

I currently have a GTX 970 installed with its respective drivers. I picked up a 1080 from a friend who said it might have some cooling issues.

To cut a long story short I was just wondering if I can use the 970 drivers as I will be swapping cards back and forth while I do tests. I don’t want to install and uninstall drivers every time I swap the cards. Is this okay?
I just need to see for the most part if the card is working or not. Will it cause issues for my PC or affect cooling?

Thank you :)

It should work just fine, Though at some point I would run DDU and reinstall the drivers when you get the 1080 operational or plan to stick with one the GPU's for a long period.

If you got an Intel CPU with onboard graphics might be an option, as I don't know if the driver install can do multiple driver swaps without breaking if you plan to move the cards back and forth a bunch of times.

Should work though, they are essentially the same drivers, I also don't know why Nvidia has drop downs when all the current supported gaming GPU's are bundled in one Installer, expect for Keplar like the GTX 700 series and older.

Good Luck!

Reactions: Vellaura

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
It should work just fine, Though at some point I would run DDU and reinstall the drivers when you get the 1080 operational or plan to stick with one the GPU's for a long period.

If you got an Intel CPU with onboard graphics might be an option, as I don't know if the driver install can do multiple driver swaps without breaking if you plan to move the cards back and forth a bunch of times.

Should work though, they are essentially the same drivers, I also don't know why Nvidia has drop downs when all the current supported gaming GPU's are bundled in one Installer, expect for Keplar like the GTX 700 series and older.

Good Luck!
Awesome thanks mate! So I can just plug and play between the cards?

Unfortunately I'm running a i7-3820 CPU so there's no integrated graphics. :(

Yea absolutely! Once I've confirmed the card is fine I'll definetely rip a DDU and do a fresh install of the 1080 drivers.

Thanks again :)