Can I use heatsink without fans?

Mechanics55

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014
Just recently got a new case (Air 540) which obviously allows noise to leak through. I'm trying to isolate where a "whirring" noise is coming from (no, it doesn't sound like a normal fan noise). I've already isolated the PSU by stopping the fan blades from moving and the noise still persists, so I think that it may be my heatsink (Noctua NH-D14). Is it safe to unplug the fans on my heatsink for around 1-2 minutes just to see if the noise goes away? Will an excess of heat build up in that short period?

Solution
If the computer is idle it shouldn't be a problem, however it usually isn't recommended as it could lead to heat build up and possibly harm your components.

It mainly depends on your heatsink and the airflow going through your case. With a good heatsink and airflow you can leave the cpu fan off for as long as your cpu temps remain in the safe range.

Legion93

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
If the computer is idle it shouldn't be a problem, however it usually isn't recommended as it could lead to heat build up and possibly harm your components.

It mainly depends on your heatsink and the airflow going through your case. With a good heatsink and airflow you can leave the cpu fan off for as long as your cpu temps remain in the safe range.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

I have the AIR 540 as well. What do you mean by "obviously allows noise to leak through" ?
That case is no noisier than others.

To determine where a particular sound is coming from, a rolled up piece of paper, held to your ear, pointing at different components inside.