[SOLVED] Can I use Hyper M.2 slot with a 10th gen intel CPU ?

Edga145236

Prominent
Apr 16, 2021
So, I have Asrock H570m Pro4 motherboard, but using 10th gen intel CPU on it. I wonder if I can still use Hyper M.2 socket on it for NVMe SSD, because in the specifications there is something like this:

"1 x Hyper M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen4x4 (64 Gb/s) (Socket M2_1 works with 11th Gen Intel® Core™ processors only)".

I can use Ultra M.2 socket instead, but it doesn't have any heatsink like first one. So, does this socket will not work completely, or it will just work in lower speeds like Ultra M.2 ? Because for example SATA are compatible with each other and I can plug SATA 3 device into SATA 2 port. Also I can't move heatsink on the other M.2 socket. I could check it for myself of course, but I don't have any graphics card yet and so the system simply will not boot up (CPU without integrated graphics).

Solution
But if that M2_1 is just not working, that is a little bit stupid, because PCIE 16x slot can work like PCIE 4.0 and PCIE 3.0, so why cant M.2 socket work like this too ?
If you want it to work, then get 11th gen cpu. 10th gen simply lacks hardware for this M.2 slot.

It is similar to cpu with disabled integrated graphics (F in model name like i5-10400F).
Motherboard will have video output for integrated graphics, but it will not work, because cpu doesn't have it.

Same here - motherboard has M.2 slot, but it will not work in combination with your cpu.
i would imagine that it will work, but they may just mean that it won't get proper 4.0 capabilities without a CPU that supports PCIe 4.0.

i would've imagined it was more about the motherboard's support, but it's possible that it also requires instructions from the CPU.

try it and see if it's detected.

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
That statement just means you need a 11th generation cpu to run the M.2 slot at PCIe 4 speed. It should still work fine at PCIe 3 speed with your 10th gen cpu.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth}

I wonder if I can still use Hyper M.2 socket on it for NVMe SSD, because in the specifications there is something like this:
"1 x Hyper M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen4x4 (64 Gb/s) (Socket M2_1 works with 11th Gen Intel® Core™ processors only)".
M2_1 works with 11th gen cpu only.
11gen cpus have 20 PCIE lanes. 10th gen cpus have only 16 PCIE lanes.
M2_1 slot is connected to those extra 4 PCIE lanes. 10gen cpu simply doesn't have that.

Asrock H570m Pro4 has 2 M.2 slots. Use M2_2 slot for your M.2 drive instead.

Last edited:

Edga145236

Prominent
Apr 16, 2021
So, I will just check for myself then. I will write how it went maybe in a week. But if that M2_1 is just not working, that is a little bit stupid, because PCIE 16x slot can work like PCIE 4.0 and PCIE 3.0, so why cant M.2 socket work like this too ?

But if that M2_1 is just not working, that is a little bit stupid, because PCIE 16x slot can work like PCIE 4.0 and PCIE 3.0, so why cant M.2 socket work like this too ?
If you want it to work, then get 11th gen cpu. 10th gen simply lacks hardware for this M.2 slot.

It is similar to cpu with disabled integrated graphics (F in model name like i5-10400F).
Motherboard will have video output for integrated graphics, but it will not work, because cpu doesn't have it.

Same here - motherboard has M.2 slot, but it will not work in combination with your cpu.

Last edited:
Solution

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
Well all I can say is that I myself have a Hyper M.2 socket, but it works fine with a PCIe 3.0 x 4 SSD in it. I would have to get a better cpu and also a better ssd, to run it at PCIe 4 speed. I have a X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3. Currently only has a Ryzen 7 2700x cpu on it.

I put the link in case you want to look at the description of the M.2 slot on it.

Sorry for your woes.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth}

Edga145236

Prominent
Apr 16, 2021
Well all I can say is that I myself have a Hyper M.2 socket, but it works fine with a PCIe 3.0 x 4 SSD in it. I would have to get a better cpu and also a better ssd, to run it at PCIe 4 speed. I have a X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3. Currently only has a Ryzen 7 2700x cpu on it.

I put the link in case you want to look at the description of the M.2 slot on it.

Sorry for your woes.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth}

I the specification of your motherboard written that M.2 socket supports gen 4 and gen 3 operations, in mine, only gen 4. In my opinion, that was stupid decision to do like that on mine motherboard.