[SOLVED] Can I use HyperX Fury 4GB 1866mhz with HyperX Fury 8gb 1600mhz on Asus B85m gamer motherboard?

Mar 16, 2020
I have an Asus b85m gamer motherboard and for now it has a hyperx fury ddr3 8gb 1600mhz ram. I'm planning to buy another hyperx one but with 4gb and 1866mhz. I read somewhere that my motherboard is only able to run a ram with 1600mhz max. Anything higher than that will be downclocked at 1600. I'm just wondering if the 1866mhz one would work fine with my current motherboard and ram. If yes, which slot should I put it in because I also read that there is a right slot on adding another ram. If it is also important I'm running on Intel core i5-4460.

Last edited:
Solution
The memory should be downclocked to the lowest frequency module... they'll both run at 1600 MHz.

For the modules to run in dual channel you'll need to install them in the A2 and B2 slots or the 2nd and 4th slots on the motherboard(numbered from the CPU socket).

Be aware that by mixing and matching modules, there's a slight chance that you'll run into compatibility issues. Make sure that you can return the memory module if they won't work together.
The memory should be downclocked to the lowest frequency module... they'll both run at 1600 MHz.

For the modules to run in dual channel you'll need to install them in the A2 and B2 slots or the 2nd and 4th slots on the motherboard(numbered from the CPU socket).

Be aware that by mixing and matching modules, there's a slight chance that you'll run into compatibility issues. Make sure that you can return the memory module if they won't work together.

Solution
Mar 16, 2020

Okay. Thanks for that. About the compatibility. Is there usually no issue with adding 4gb to an 8 gb memory module?

Okay. Thanks for that. About the compatibility. Is there usually no issue with adding 4gb to an 8 gb memory module?

As I said earlier, pairing 2 different modules might result in compatibility issues... that's a risk you're taking by doing that. Doesn't matter if the modules have the same capacity or not.

Well, if they're compatible you'll be running in flex mode... that means that the 4gb module + 4gb(from the 8gb module) will be running in dual channel while the other 4gb wil be running in single channel. From a performance stand point that's not really optimal. I'd rather get an 8gb module and run everything in dual channel.

Last edited: