Can i use more than one rail to power GPU? How?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

d359233drdrbcom

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
psu has four 18A rails and only one pci-e connector.

1If i use cable adapter to pci-e what rail/s will i be using then?
2How many ampers should i expect from adapter?
3What adapter is best?

d359233drdrbcom

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

More rais make over___protection kick in earlier.But i just wanna know if i can use more railss so there is enough power to gpu.

also a psu which has more in rails than in watts simoly means that you can use each rail upto something but cANt excced total watts

Hi - It's like the folks above and the quote from Hunter315's article, have been saying, you do not need to be concerned with # of rails. What you need to be concerned with is having a good quality PSU (regardless of +12v rails) that has enough +12v rail(s) amps available for your system. It's not any more complicated than that.

The CPU, GPU, HDD, etc draw their current from the +12v rail(s). If you have sufficient power there your system will
be fine.

If you buy a POS PSU with only 1 pcie connector it won't matter how many 12v rails it has, it will likely fail. On the other hand if you buy a decent PSU with enough +12v amps then you will be fine with a single or multiple +12v rails.

As someone above mentioned above, a no name (ms-tech) PSU with only 1 pcie connector is a dead giveaway
to it not being able to power a lower mid range GPU & system, much less a mid range or better system.

d359233drdrbcom

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
OK so this will rule out most POS psu.
After using all psu calcs and haing very different results i hope you will be more accurate.Even AMD recommendation is overestimated because it tells you watts according to their opinion on what most people have in their pc.

H81 Pro Btc
G1820
Goodram ddr3 1333 MHz 9/9/9/24 2gb
usb pendrive for OS
radeon 7950 or newer

no sound card hard drive and whatever.After setup ill unplug keyboard mouse monitor whatever else even usb after os copied to ram for max power saving.Everything underclocked as much as possible except overclocked radeon for gpu mining.

Can you estinate how many watts power supply i really need?

400W, ~300W for the GPU, with the remainder largely for cooling.

One thing to note: OCing generally reduces your power efficiency. You'll get a bit more hashes, but a lot more power draw.

EDIT: When I say 400W, that is an estimate for a very good PSU, able to deliver all power on 12V. If you're using a group regulated one, look for a maximum 12V output of 33A+