[SOLVED] can i use my cpu for virtualization?

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
hi guys,

i was wondering with the i5 11500, how many os can i install on my pc using hyper-v? on my i5 4570s i have installed 3 os and still ran ok.

many thanks

Solution
hi guys,

i was wondering with the i5 11500, how many os can i install on my pc using hyper-v? on my i5 4570s i have installed 3 os and still ran ok.

many thanks
Memory is the limiting factor for how many. How useful 20 VMs would be depends on how CPU intensive each one is.
Memory will limit the number, CPU utilization will limit the funtionality.

kanewolf

Titan
hi guys,

many thanks
Memory is the limiting factor for how many. How useful 20 VMs would be depends on how CPU intensive each one is.
Memory will limit the number, CPU utilization will limit the funtionality.

Reactions: froggy8
Solution

kanewolf

Titan
many thaks for that

i am thinking about doing some studying on IT networking so that is the only idea i have.
If you are going to do that you want a separate NIC card (quad gig-e) and a managed switch. You will want to create VLANs and assign to a specific VM. You will want to assign VMs to specific NIC port(s). Even assign multiple NIC ports to a VM and associate them with multiple VLANs.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
If you are going to do that you want a separate NIC card (quad gig-e) and a managed switch. You will want to create VLANs and assign to a specific VM. You will want to assign VMs to specific NIC port(s). Even assign multiple NIC ports to a VM and associate them with multiple VLANs.
sorry that sounds quite complicated, i am still learning. the only thing i know is to assign each os to a username so if i install 5 os then i have 5 username and connect then all using ip address.

kanewolf

Titan
sorry that sounds quite complicated, i am still learning. the only thing i know is to assign each os to a username so if i install 5 os then i have 5 username and connect then all using ip address.
I am not saying those steps are required, but they mimic what is done in real systems. You have multiple network interfaces in a server, you map VMs to specific interfaces. That provides dedicated bandwidth to the VM. Then you use VLANs on your network to isolate the VMs.

USAFRet

Titan
As mentioned above, RAM.

Each running VM consumes whatever physical RAM you give it.

So lets assume 8GB for a server VM, and 4GB each for a couple of clients, all running simultaneously.
That is 16GB right off the top of whatever physical RAM you have. The host system will only have access to the rest.

Of course, you have to temper your performance expections of the VMs to the amount of RAM. A Win 10 client in 4GB RAM, or a WindowsServer2019 in 8GB is....marginal.

My current system has 32GB RAM, and I've seen upwards of 20GB consumed when running a few concurrent VM/s