Can i use my hd 4870 in new system

Onepilot6

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
Hi all please help me out
I am looking to build a budget gaming pc but i want to know whether i can use hd 4870 Graphic card that is from my older pc i kept it from last few years in perfect condition please help me out.
I am looking at
Amd fx 630cpucpubased system
Thanks in advance.

Solution
You sure can! It's certainly better than using integrated graphics as a placeholder until you save up for a more modern card.

As a DX10 card it can play any game that can run in XP or Vista. This includes many new games that can fall back to a DX9 codepath. For old games that aren't too memory-heavy at low resolution the HD4870 is nearly as fast as a GTX750 or R7-450 but does use a whopping 150w under load. It also idles at 60w as it was the first card with GDDR5 and always runs it at full speed as they didn't figure out how to change memory clocks at idle without blanking the screen until the HD5000 series.

Unlike its contemporary the GTX260, it can fully hardware accelerate modern WebGL2 and Flash. Both can run Aero...
As RobCrezz says, you could but it's not really worthwhile-unless you're going to use the system as a 'retro' gamer-even the 1Gb HD 4870 will barely be up to a modern game at minimum settings and resolution.
Again, the 'FX' parts aren't very good, but they can be cheap.
Perhaps we can point you in a better direction?
Drop us your budget and location, along with any parts you can use/reuse and we'll see what we can come up with.

You sure can! It's certainly better than using integrated graphics as a placeholder until you save up for a more modern card.

As a DX10 card it can play any game that can run in XP or Vista. This includes many new games that can fall back to a DX9 codepath. For old games that aren't too memory-heavy at low resolution the HD4870 is nearly as fast as a GTX750 or R7-450 but does use a whopping 150w under load. It also idles at 60w as it was the first card with GDDR5 and always runs it at full speed as they didn't figure out how to change memory clocks at idle without blanking the screen until the HD5000 series.

Unlike its contemporary the GTX260, it can fully hardware accelerate modern WebGL2 and Flash. Both can run Aero though if you run Windows 7.

Which leads to the main problem--in Windows 10 there's only one driver (it's on WindowsUpdate) which is not compatible with any Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center. To adjust AA and AF you can install RadeonPro. After changing the settings, you can then even uninstall it if you like, and the changes will persist.

As the others suggest it's well worth putting your money toward a more modern platform, even if you have to muddle along with an old GPU which you already own for now. I think it's this last point that the others may have failed to notice--the cost is zero and it's temporary. If using it allows you to upgrade to a better platform instead of wasting part of your budget on a low-end GPU then it's definitely worth it.

Solution