[SOLVED] Can i use my integrated graphics whilst using dedicated graphics

Jan 20, 2021
I was wondering if i could use integrated graphics with dedicated gpu
My specs are:
Intel Core i5 2400
Nvidia Gt710 (used for light gaming and work) (the dedicated gpu)

Solution
GT710 is not considered as suitable for gaming.
If you want better graphics performance, look to at least a GT1030 class card or better.
The capability of the integrated adapter is not additive.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Need to know what motherboard you have installed. The option to enable on-board graphics while a discrete graphics card is installed is in the motherboard BIOS. If this is a pre-built system, it's unlikely you will be able to, but there's no harm in checking.

-Wolf sends

Jan 20, 2021
Just curious, what do you need the Intel iGPU for?
Need to know what motherboard you have installed. The option to enable on-board graphics while a discrete graphics card is installed is in the motherboard BIOS. If this is a pre-built system, it's unlikely you will be able to, but there's no harm in checking.

-Wolf sends
Its not a prebuilt system it's a lenevo m93p but not sure what the motherboard is. Link here for my pc - desktops and all in ones :: thinkcentre m series desktops :: thinkcentre m91p :: 7033 :: 7033jy8 :: s4hyyr4 Lenovo PC Support - Lenovo Support GB
Btw the graphics card was added

Extra power, why not? Lol
I could see using the iGPU with the GT 710 for 3-4 monitors total on a single system, but you can't increase your graphics performance by enabling the iGPU to work with your GT 710 because they are not designed like that. The only way you could actually do that is have two GPUs of the same Nvidia or AMD model that support SLI or Crossfire in a connected multi-gpu configurations.

Oh so what are the advantages of having a discrete gpu and integrated. (And cons)
Integrated graphics is sufficient for desktop work and even for HD movie playback.
The plus is that it comes with the cpu and does not need extra power.
Integrated is useful to have if your discrete gpu has problems.

A discrete gpu is necessary if you do not have integrated ability.
A discrete gpu can output images at a very high rate which is what you want for fast action gaming. Of course that is an extra cost.
For some applications, a discrete gpu can be used for computational power.

DSzymborski

Titan
Oh so what are the advantages of having a discrete gpu and integrated. (And cons)

Mainly, if your GT 710 dies, you can still use your PC. Or you can use more monitors simultaneously than your GT 710 can show. And in this case, the integrated graphics will be even less powerful than the GT 710 if something happens to it (modern integrated graphics are generally faster than the 710).

That's pretty much the main difference.