[SOLVED] Can I use my new motherboard as RGB controller?

Aprillion

Prominent
Dec 22, 2020
Hello,

I’ve just bought a new motherboard, the MSI MPG B550 gaming plus.
Just updated the bios for my Ryzen 5 5600x.
I’ve got my watercooler (Coolermaster liquidmaster ML120L) from my old build.
But the RGB leds haven’t been working for a while, which is caused by the faulty RGB controller that came with it.
Now I see three RGB headers on my Mystic Light motherboard, jrgb1 and jrainbow1 and jrainbow2.
So my question is:
Could I use my motherboard as a RGB controller by connecting the RGB to one of these headers on the motherboard?
If so which one do I use to let it be useable with Mystic Light?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Solution
Is it a 3 or 4 pin header/plug from the cooler? As long as you use the proper header for the plug, then you should be able to control the RBG from the mobo software as long as there are no issues with the hardware itself. Just be careful not to plug a 3 pin 5V ARGB plug into a 12v RGB header or you'll overload the LEDs and blow them out.
Manual says the headers are for Led strips so plugs may not match header.
Reconnecting the AIO RGB could cause damage if Coolermaster wiring doesn't match your MB. I can't find any wiring diagrams on website so I will stop here. Someone else here who has torn into MSI stuff may be able to help. While you wait you could ask on the MSI web forum - last link.
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C56v1.1.pdf
https://us.msi.com/support#support_download

Reactions: Aprillion

dan.monger

Honorable
Oct 17, 2017
Is it a 3 or 4 pin header/plug from the cooler? As long as you use the proper header for the plug, then you should be able to control the RBG from the mobo software as long as there are no issues with the hardware itself. Just be careful not to plug a 3 pin 5V ARGB plug into a 12v RGB header or you'll overload the LEDs and blow them out.

Reactions: Aprillion
Solution

Aprillion

Prominent
Dec 22, 2020
Thanks, it is a 4 pin connector, so I think that the 4pin 12V should work.

I will try!