[SOLVED] Can I use my old DDR4 3000 memory in new X299 system?

dougd71

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
I currently have 64GB of G Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 3000 with 15-16-16-35 timings (Part # F4-3000C15D-16GRBB) in my homebuilt overclocked X99 motherboard with an Intel 5820k.

I'm upgrading to an entirely new dell 5820 workstation with either an intel i9-10940X or 10920X.

Can I use my old DDR4-3000 memory in the new computer? If so will I be taking a performance hit?

Thanks!

Solution
Hey there,

Well they are both DDR4 based systems,. so in theory they should work. I say in 'theory' because it's a prebuild Dell system, I wouldn't be sure of compatibility for ram. Dell don't offer bios' that can be manually configured (from a mem point of view). Normally for a home build, the mobo will offer different ram settings that can be changed to help with compatibility, but Dell not so much.

You might ask Dell if the DIMMS you have are compatible (on a QVL- Qualified Vendor List), this might be the shortest way to an answer.
Hey there,

Well they are both DDR4 based systems,. so in theory they should work. I say in 'theory' because it's a prebuild Dell system, I wouldn't be sure of compatibility for ram. Dell don't offer bios' that can be manually configured (from a mem point of view). Normally for a home build, the mobo will offer different ram settings that can be changed to help with compatibility, but Dell not so much.

You might ask Dell if the DIMMS you have are compatible (on a QVL- Qualified Vendor List), this might be the shortest way to an answer.

Solution

dougd71

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Thanks. The Dell sales rep said it should work but didn't have anything he could point me to online. So I'm a bit skeptical. As a general proposition though, would the system automatically run the Ram at a lower speed or is that something that normally needs to be manually configured in bios?