Can I use my old HP pavillion case to build a new desk top?

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

44surf

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
I want to try and build my own PC. Can I use my old 2008 HP Pavillion case? My system crashed...the motherboard is bad according to the repair tech. He said not to sink another penny into it. I am interested in learning how to build my own system and was hoping I could use the case. Any ideas out there?

takumi_AE86

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
This all sits in a Silver HP Pavilion a1320n case. It was sitting in someones garage and it was given to me about 6 months ago, i think the factory motherboard was bad. I had been wondering if i could squeeze another motherboard in it, but canned the idea until a few days ago when i stumbled on this thread.

Everything was bought at the microcenter in dallas texas. i got the motherboard free because it was a combo special when i bought one of the select AMD CPU

I'm using the original stock power supply. original stock case fan.

Stock wiring. Everything connects, but there is no place for the 1394 fire wire (but i don't need it)

I would have used the original 200GB SATA HDD, but i had this seagate from a previous build.

This system runs cool and quiet. i know the AMD Phenom II X6 1075T 3GHz is overkill, but i wanted it :)

Windows 7 64bit

AMD Phenom II X6 1075T 3GHz Socket AM3 >> $169.99

Biostar A780L3G AM3 760G mATX Motherboard >> FREE

CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (1 stick, but can add another 4GB) >> $49.99

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 1024MB DDR3 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card >> $19.99 after rebate savings

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive >> $59.99

thanks guys for this thread :)

takumi

lesizz

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Be careful reusing old HP cases. For a spell they were using the BTX standard - opppsed to ATX. Difference is the back panel has PCI section and Ports section reversed. ATX & BTX wont mix. Youd need to try and find a BTX mobo.
The HP/Compaq dc7900 used BTX.

USAFRet

Titan
Be careful reusing old HP cases. For a spell they were using the BTX standard - opppsed to ATX. Difference is the back panel has PCI section and Ports section reversed. ATX & BTX wont mix. Youd need to try and find a BTX mobo.
The HP/Compaq dc7900 used BTX.
I sincerely hope that the OP is still not messing with this 8 years later.
This is a thread from 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.