[SOLVED] Can I use my old SSDs as overflow storage with new laptop?

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
I have a couple SSDs and an HDD from my old desktop build, and was wondering if I could use these as overflow storage with my new laptop. Maybe for bulk pictures, large games, etc.

I've seen some drive docking stations, but I don't know if those can be used for just occasional use as storage, or if they are only for cloning/backups. Do they act similar to other USB drives (showing up as a storage option when plugged in))

Solution
I have a couple SSDs and an HDD from my old desktop build, and was wondering if I could use these as overflow storage with my new laptop. Maybe for bulk pictures, large games, etc.

I've seen some drive docking stations, but I don't know if those can be used for just occasional use as storage, or if they are only for cloning/backups. Do they act similar to other USB drives (showing up as a storage option when plugged in))
Sure.
It will just another drive letter, connected via USB.

I wouldn't recommend games though. Performance won't be great.

USAFRet

Titan

Sure.
It will just another drive letter, connected via USB.

I wouldn't recommend games though. Performance won't be great.

Reactions: dolokhov
Solution

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I have an Intel and Ryzen version but they both just have (1) SSD slot. That one should have the main SSD in the middle so pop off the bottom cover and see if there is a second under the battery. There are literally 30 different models of this thing so the "How many drives" are regional options.

TRENDING THREADS