[SOLVED] Can I Use My PC Remotely At School

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2022
I have a really good pc at home but not a good laptop so I was wondering if I could turn my pc on remotely at school and use it. I have heard this can be unsafe and I would like to do this safely. I also would not like to spend any money.

Solution
It might be even slower there is a lot of overhead in running it remotely. If you were say doing something very cpu intensive or maybe something that uses the video card to do encoding on the remote pc. In effect you are using the remote connection to click start and then everything runs on the home pc.
Compile a large program or run a video transcode would work. Surfing the web is going to be much slower.

If you want a lot of interaction it will likely be much slower that running things directly.

You can look at using teamviewer to get the remote access but I strongly suspect it is not going to do what you think it is.
It might be even slower there is a lot of overhead in running it remotely. If you were say doing something very cpu intensive or maybe something that uses the video card to do encoding on the remote pc. In effect you are using the remote connection to click start and then everything runs on the home pc.
Compile a large program or run a video transcode would work. Surfing the web is going to be much slower.

If you want a lot of interaction it will likely be much slower that running things directly.

You can look at using teamviewer to get the remote access but I strongly suspect it is not going to do what you think it is.

Solution
Jan 27, 2022

Ok thanks, I think I'll hold off doing it for now then.

Try out Parsec, it's free and works pretty well. People use it for games and 3D CAD work remotely: https://parsec.app/ The input latency is a little high when doing this remotely, so I wouldn't play any fast and intense FPS games. Slower adventure and campaign games will be fine.

They also have a remote wifi switch you can integrate with Amazon Alexa or Google Home to power up the computer while at school, while not free it's <$20: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084WWC9NS

Last edited:
I have a really good pc at home but not a good laptop so I was wondering if I could turn my pc on remotely at school and use it. I have heard this can be unsafe and I would like to do this safely. I also would not like to spend any money.
If you want to access your PC remotely I recommend Team Viewer, for non commercial use it's free. I've been using it for years for this purpose.

Note however unless you have wake on LAN setup then your PC must be already switched on to be accessible.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
^ Be aware...you haven't said it, and I am not inferring you are going to do it, but Team Viewer will shut you down in a New York minute if they sense you are moving copyrighted material across their platform. IE, if you link back to your own music or movie collection and transfer it over they can/will shut you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.