Question Can i use my psu for a new build?

Cruying

Commendable
Apr 25, 2019
Alright so, i want to build a new pc and i'm on a tight budget and i cannot go higher than i already am.
So i want to use my corsair CX600 for it since i had tried one psu already and i am pretty sure that it failed me (i bought a corsair vs650) and i'll just return the components and get new ones and i want to save some money sinse it's gonna end up costing more money than before since i can't find a psu at that price that i would trust since i see so many mixed reviews everywhere.
And in that case i want to use my older psu which is still in good condition, it doesn't make much sound at all either, my current pc is a intel core 2 quad q6600 2.4ghz, 3 sticks of ddr2 2g ram, p35-ds3l motherboard and a amd radeon hd 6850.
The pc that i want to build is a amd ryzen 5 2400g 3.6ghz apu (no gpu yet), 2 sticks of DATA XPG Gammix D10 8GB DDR4 3000MHz ram, MSI B450M MORTAR AM4.
So i would really appreciate if someone can tell me if there is a problem in using my older psu instead of buying a new one right away.
Thank you.

Cruying

Commendable
Apr 25, 2019
Alright so i just want a psu for my new pc which is a ryzen 5 2400g 2 sticks of ddr4 3000mhz MSI B450M MORTAR no gpu i'll use the integrated graphics and upgrade it later when i'll have the money.

So i want to use a corsair vs550 for it and i want to know if it is a good power supply or if there are other power supplies at that price point that are better.

Thank you.

Cruying

Commendable
Apr 25, 2019
Alright so i just want a psu for my new pc which is a ryzen 5 2400g 2 sticks of ddr4 3000mhz MSI B450M MORTAR no gpu i'll use the integrated graphics and upgrade it later when i'll have the money.

So i want to use a corsair vs550 for it and i want to know if it is a good power supply or if there are other power supplies at that price point that are better.

Thank you.

Cruying

Commendable
Apr 25, 2019
CX650 or CX650M would be a decent choice , but the CX600 is very poor quaity.
i'm not sure about that since i've got a pc which is running with that psu and i never had any problem with it, and the pc is fairly old but still usable.
anyway is there a decent option for about 50 to 70 or maybe 80 dollars?
or would i need to pay a little bit more for a decent psu?

TribalOutcaster

Reputable
May 19, 2016
Mine just died a week ago, well kinda makes a weird buzzing sound and fan speed is slow ( MasterCooler Elite V2 UK Type ) So i though i kinda ride along this thread, as i am too looking for a new PSU for the replacement. Right now i am currently having an eye on EVGA 500w brand. Are they good, any thought on them?

...i don't really know, i mean i am on a thight budget and i can't spend that much on a power supply...
OK....here's the thing about that.

Computer power supplies are the most important aspect of a computer build; and they are the component that people tend to cheap-out on. Not good, because a low quality can destroy pretty-much everything that is connected to it, when it fails in a particular way.

Does a low quality power supply always fail in that catastrophic way?
No. But, such power supplies don't always provide clean, stable power when they are "working properly" either; and the purity of the output voltage gets worse as you increase the load that you put on the power supply.

The output of ALL power supplies degrades as you demand more from them--all the way up to their stated design limits--and low quality power supplies degrade faster, have lower limits, and have fewer safe guards built into them.

No computer power supply is designed to continuously PROVIDE their "badge-rated" output power.
If you have a system that demands 550W from a power supply, you should be buying at least an 1000W power supply, and you should select a power supply that has the right balance of current rating on the individual output rails. If a specific rail is lacking in current output, that is going to force you into a higher power output category of PSU, and there is really no way around that, these days.

Will a cheap PSU ALWAYS destroy components when it dies?
No, but do you have the budget for it if it does?